Author Topic: broody girls  (Read 1781 times)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
broody girls
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:40:05 »
 :( I have 2 black rocks they are 27 weeks old one is broody HELP what should i do ?? these are the first chickens i have ever kept. Also my other girl has not started laying yet is this normal ??

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: broody girls
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 15:44:13 »
Hello there...your other girl should have started laying by now..are you sure she is not laying...could she be laying somewhere else?..could the eggs been eaten either by themselves or pinched by rat or something other?
As for broody...is she actually sitting on eggs?...or just sitting in 'empty' nest box?

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 18:13:51 »
 she is sitting on empty nest and there is no way eggs being eaten by anything or by my
girls

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 18:26:05 »
Two of my girls are sitting on empty nest boxes because I take the egg from under ! & I don't think the other one is laying. I am assuming these 2 are broody.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 19:24:13 »
If you pick the chickens up and they are hot and bare underneath then they are broody and will keep going back to the nest box.  They will also fluff out their feathers when placed on the floor. 

I separate mine when they go broody by putting them in another area with water but no nest box, for about 4 or 5 days.  When I bring food to them daily, they cluck to call their young even though they haven't any.  ::)  Once they have stopped this clucking, I then return them to the rest of the flock. 

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:08:43 »
Broodiness is just natural. Go with it it doesnt last long. Just keep on moving the eggs from under her. She wont lay while she is broody but she will take eggs from the others to sit on if she can. That breed arent usually known for being broody.

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:39:34 »
Great timing - my Light Sussex (Suzie) has just gone broody as well.  She does so every three months or so.  Not a huge problem, as there is room in the nest box for the others to lay - but obviously she stops laying, and she's usually my best.

A long time ago I read on another forum that you need to cool them down to stop them being broody.  Just leaving Suzie to it doesn't work, she'll just keep sitting if I let her.

You definately need to separate her.  I've read up a lot of advice on this, and this is what I do:

1.  Section off a part of the run to create a separate broody pen.  Has to be secure.  Needs shade during the day, don't do it in the rain

2.  Within pen, put a mesh floor on to raised blocks.  I use wood, about 2 inches high

3.  Ensure that you put in a water & food supply

4.  Leave the hen in for 3 days & 3 nights

The theory is, that alowing cool air to pass under the hen, it cools them down and stops them being broody. 

They'll then start to re-grow the feathers that they've pulled out to allow skin-to-egg contact.

I've successfully used this approach a few times. 

The hardest part is knowing that the hen is in the cold at night - but I believe that this is the best way to cool them down, and stop them being broody.

A friend-of-a-friend is apparently talking about culling a hen who keeps going broody, which is way too extreme...

As the weather at the moment is relatively warm at night (forecast to be 14, 12, 12 degrees here for the next 3 days), it's a good time to do it.

Hope that helps.
I'd rather be digging my plot

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal