Author Topic: Alcohol on allotments?  (Read 12971 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Alcohol on allotments?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 07:24:40 »
have you thought Betty that they might not be allowed to drink at home. ;D

I don't think that's the case Shirl.  The car driver lives on his own, the young man (24) lives with his parents.  He has told us about how he and his dad get drunk and that he binge-drinks with his mates.  I'm worried that they will start drinking on the site and that it will get out of hand.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:57 »
We have two items in our Terms & Conditions: no-one is allowed to be on site while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; all members are responsible for the behaviour of guests. They seem to cover any problems, though I've never been aware of any.

Uncultivated plots are another issue: that's what plot inspections are for.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 07:48:37 »
I think you just have to let them get on with it even if you don't like it. If, on the other hand they become drunk and abusive or aggressive, time to have them warned and, ultimately removed. Same applies if their plots are neglected.

We have quite a lot of social drinking going on but it never seems to get out of hand. I quite often provide the wherewithal - plum, rhubarb, blackcurrant or elderflower wines - but don't participate myself since I have to drive home.

guerriero75

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 08:28:16 »
You cant beat a nice cold beer at the lotty, then again it all depends if you have to drive or not, luckily I live 5 min walking distance from my house and several times from 1 beer as become errrmmm lets skip 2-3 and go for 4 ...lol but  was joined from many others lotty buddies.
Now where it gets interesting its we have now started to brew our own beer at the lotty :P and it as happened before that after a spot of barbeque and several refreshing beverages ie ale ....our other halves had to come and wakes us up under the plum trees...ohhh dear.

I think the point of alcohol and lotty its  that people dont have to get abusive and most important not driving home...well the rest its ok I guess.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:04 »
1 litre is less than 2 pints, so if it was drunk over a couple of hours a young healthy bloke would probably be well within the drink-drive limit.

They may have been sitting there trying to find inspiration for what to do with their plot (I do a lot of that). Maybe you could go and chat to them and offer some seedlings/tool loan/expertise? Sounds like they are harmless, just young and inexperienced!

jokey

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 11:38:30 »
as long as they are not harming anyone else, live and let live

lifes too short ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal