Author Topic: Plant ID help please  (Read 1425 times)

sazhig

• Half Acre
Plant ID help please
« on: June 20, 2010, 13:05:00 »
This plant has appeared for the first time, behind my garden back wall. Not got a clue what it is so any pointers would be gratefully received  before I pull it up along with the other 'weeds' :)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Plant ID help please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 13:18:39 »
it looks like a Verbascum, or mullein of some sort. Probably Great Mullein but there  are other natives and ornamentals. Very attractive spikes with yellow flowers. Very popular with mullein moth larvae   ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 13:18:55 »
Don't pull it up, it's a mullein or Aaron's rod, lovely spike of yellow flowers and those downy leaves.  It attracts the most beautiful caterpillar too - wait and see.  Oh yes, you can smoke the leaves as well!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 14:09:50 »
Thanks  :)

Have Googled and it sounds very useful...if a little invasive...not sure if it will survive where it is though as the car gets parked right next to it. But I will leave it for now and see how it grows  :)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 14:37:57 »
If it turns out to have blue flowers, it could be alkanet: pentaglottis sempervirens.  Horribly difficult to get rid of because have very long tap roots and will regrow from just a piece of root left in the soil. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:57 »
It looks like Great Mullein to me. I've never found it invasive. It's a biennial, and it's easy to dig up or move plants before they get big.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal