Author Topic: hello,new here  (Read 1723 times)

soupdragon1973

• Not So New ...
hello,new here
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:39:47 »
I am not strictly an allotment gardener,I am a raised beds in the back garden type gardener and this is my first ever year growing my own veg.It is exciting and worrying,abit like having a newborn around(which incidentally I have this year,my first child also!). I am enjoying it thoroughly so far,not too many problems to report although I do have ants around and my spinach leaves have some worrying discoloured patches on them. I am a complete novice!

My question is this,I would like to learn more and wish to volunteer somewhere.I live in Portsmouth.Does anyone have any ideas where I could volunteer a few hours a week and learn something in the process??

Many thanks,

Alex

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: hello,new here
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:33 »
Well hello and welcome, I can't help you with your volunteering but hang around here and you will learn a lot very fast,they are a great bunch of gardeners and this is a very caring friendly site..

Enjoy your garden and a first baby too.

Don't be afraid to ask questions even what seems like a silly one has been asked before.

What do you think you would like to grow?

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:28:32 »
Welcome to the forum Alex :)

Same as Jeannine but take some pictures and put them on here.
Are you going to have just veg/fruit beds or mix them with flowers?

Neil

soupdragon1973

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:14 »
Thanks Jeannine,

Well I am already growing cabbages,spinach,sprouts,parsnips,carrots,leeks,onions,cauliflowers and brocoli in the 2 raised beds.I have tomatoes doing really well in grow bags and I have a broad bean plant on its own in a big,wide pot that has already got beans growing on it.I also have some lettuces growing in troughs.

All seems to be doing quite well,I have the luck of having a south facing garden.Its all new to me and I was worried that we had quite a cold snap in early May,even here on the south coast but the plants all seem to be thriving and its so rewarding.I love nothing more than going out in an evening to water my plants and check on their growth,my soil must be quite nutrient rich.I did put manure in it back in Nov last year and put compost into it back in early March before planting out in April.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:38:14 by soupdragon1973 »

soupdragon1973

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:35:14 »
hello Neil,

Well my partners dad lives with us and he has started growing strawberries and we also have some hanging baskets with plenty of flowers which is good as it attracts bees! How do I post pics then on here?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:18 »
You can do it via Photobucket or pay an annual  tenner which goes to the cost of running the site, try up in help for how to..paypal is the way .

XX Jeannine

wrong advice. click on your own name, it will take you to your profile scroll down   the options and look for paid subscriptions.. it is there, you can also pay by cheque. If you choose to, come back on and someone will tell you how to do i.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:45:36 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:14:22 »
Welcome to A4A soupdragon.  You could try these people and see if they have any garden projects.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:22:23 »
Welcome aboard. Great site with many experienced gardening members.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:59 »
Hi Soupdragon

What a splendid name!  Should be mine really as I make loads of soup and am a bit of a dragon!

Why don't you checkout your local allotments and see if anyone either old, ill or just with a messy allotment wants a hand!  You will always find someone giving you advice - whether it is right or wrong - you will get it!

Here there are some VERY experienced gardeners and even tho I am old and have been gardening most of my life I am still learning!

Good luck with your veggies at home - sounds like you have filled your deep beds well!

Old Bird (aka Ann)!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 17:38:25 »
Have you got owt for me to eat? ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

soupdragon1973

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 19:33:58 »
Have you got owt for me to eat? ;D

Only some lettuce leaves so far,your going to have to wait for the main veg!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal