Author Topic: PROGRESS REPORT for Jeannine and Jayb's Canadian/UK swap parcel.  (Read 50721 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Re: PROGRESS REPORT for Jeannine and Jayb's Canadian/UK swap parcel.
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2010, 20:26:21 »
Well, lost for words.  If I had just got an allotment then this swap would have been heaven sent.  There is nothing that you would have to go out and buy.  Enough for at least 3 whole plots I would say, no actually more.  I am a new tomato and squash enthusiast so I was spoilt for choice.  I hope I haven't had anyone's millefleur tomato seeds as they were in the "for everyone" bag, but I only took one of the seeds that were left, so fingers crossed it germinates.  Otherwise I shall be purchasing some from Real Seeds next year.  I had some mixed lettuce leaves from Jeannine and heinz, jersey devil, piccolo and la roma tomato seeds, only a couple of each.  I went overboard with tomatoes this year and have 54 plants so I don't want a repeat performance next year.  I had a seed each of seven different squash.  Some boothbys blond and white wonder cucumber.  Some grape seeds and goji berries seeds.  
All in all this was a very impressive parcel and many thanks to Jeannine for your generosity and Jayb as well.
I was going to include £5 for the last person to include in the cost of posting back to Jeannine but I boxed and wrapped up the seeds before I realised, so I am going to post it separately, not special delivery but just recorded, to the next person to have the parcel for them to include in the parcel when they post it.  
Julie
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 20:33:05 by mpdjulie »

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2010, 20:33:07 »
Sounds wonderful !!!!!!!!!!
Getting very excited now and i could do with something nice to cheer me up :(

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2010, 20:51:56 »
As soon as Jeannines been in touch with the next person I shall leave a clue and shall be posting tomorrow.
Julie
 :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2010, 21:44:43 »
Granny Janny, thank you for getting it off, I do hope you found something good.
XX Jeannine

Yes do tell, I love hearing what different people have taken a fancy to grow and add too. Some little gems so far.  There always seems to be something new to add to my one day list  ;D

Hope you foot improves very soon Julie  :) But wow you seem to have gone through that parcel in record time, it seemed to take me ages just looking up varieties  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2010, 01:24:05 »
 ;D glad everyones enjoying themselves :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:08 »

Lottie Lou, enjoy your rocking chair, personally I prefer my Lazyboy, it works really well in semi recline with my laptop on my tummy.

XX Jeannine

[/quote]

Hi Jeannine, do they have the tartan slippers with the pom poms hanging from the front in canada or is that a british speciality????

Kxx

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:13 »
Well, lost for words.  If I had just got an allotment then this swap would have been heaven sent.  There is nothing that you would have to go out and buy.  Enough for at least 3 whole plots I would say, no actually more.  I am a new tomato and squash enthusiast so I was spoilt for choice.  I hope I haven't had anyone's millefleur tomato seeds as they were in the "for everyone" bag, but I only took one of the seeds that were left, so fingers crossed it germinates.  Otherwise I shall be purchasing some from Real Seeds next year.  I had some mixed lettuce leaves from Jeannine and heinz, jersey devil, piccolo and la roma tomato seeds, only a couple of each.  I went overboard with tomatoes this year and have 54 plants so I don't want a repeat performance next year.  I had a seed each of seven different squash.  Some boothbys blond and white wonder cucumber.  Some grape seeds and goji berries seeds.  
All in all this was a very impressive parcel and many thanks to Jeannine for your generosity and Jayb as well.
I was going to include £5 for the last person to include in the cost of posting back to Jeannine but I boxed and wrapped up the seeds before I realised, so I am going to post it separately, not special delivery but just recorded, to the next person to have the parcel for them to include in the parcel when they post it.  
Julie
 ;D

On second thoughts I am going to rewrap the parcel and put the money in it.
Julie

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2010, 08:18:14 »
Also I will be posting today and I am in the process of thinking of a clue.
Julie

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:17 »
Next clue is:
blockbuster cliche simmered into submission
Julie
  ;)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2010, 09:59:25 »
Is it Mushy pea ???????????????
My brain hurts   ;D

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2010, 10:56:35 »
Is it Mushy pea ???????????????
My brain hurts   ;D
Well done
I have a problem, been to the post office and the only service that can give for the weight - 2.8kg - and the higher compensation level and tracking is special delivery for £21.65.  On the other hand I can use Hermes costing £9.16 with £250 compensation but collection from me would be the soonest on Friday and delivery would be 3-5 days and you can track it.  Not sure what to do but I need to do it soon.  Any suggestions????

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:58 »
Right, I have exhausted myself trying to find a courier that will take seeds - hardly any as they are on the prohibited lists.  I have no choice but to go for 1st class signed for recorded delivery.  It only gives £41 compensation but it shouldn't get lost, should it?  My problem is that the special delivery cost jumps from £8.65 to £21.65 for parcels over 2kg.  When grannyjanny posted it to me it must have weighed no more that 2kg but now I've added to it, it weighs 2.8kg.
Anyway my husband is going to post it this afternoon, so everyone cross your fingers and toes and let's hope it gets there.
Julie
 :-X

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2010, 13:17:20 »
I sent it by 1st class recorded also, I think others have too. If it is getting to big for the post perhaps it makes more sense to use a courier although it may be a bit slower. Cambourne's listed several on page 12.
Glad it is on its way and I'm sure Jeannine will be along later  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2010, 13:37:01 »
I sent it by 1st class recorded also, I think others have too. If it is getting to big for the post perhaps it makes more sense to use a courier although it may be a bit slower. Cambourne's listed several on page 12.
Glad it is on its way and I'm sure Jeannine will be along later  :)
Only Hermes out of the list will take seeds - but they take 3-5 working days to deliver - the others have seeds on their prohibited list.
Julie

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2010, 15:31:32 »
JUst to let everyone know - It's on its way
Julie

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2010, 15:59:30 »
 :( I thought it was me as there was a delivery that could not be delivered yesterday because of not enough postage paid. It was only 10p out but an extra £1 added for a fee.
Hope I'm not expected to pay for junk mail :-\

Getting very excited about this parcel ;D

Neil

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2010, 17:39:44 »
I sent it first class recorded as well. If it's getting that expensive wouldn't it be better to split it into two parcels?

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2010, 18:07:25 »
I sent it first class recorded as well. If it's getting that expensive wouldn't it be better to split it into two parcels?

I priced that up as well.  For under 1kg SD postage was £6.10 and for the other 1.8kg it was £8.65.  So doesn't work out cheaper I'm afraid.
Julie
 :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2010, 22:52:53 »
Why go for Special Delivery rather than Recorded?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2010, 23:49:57 »
Mmm,sorry I am a bit behind here . I don't think it needs to go special delivery, just recorded.there is no hurry it was only to keep a check on it not getting lost, actually I wasn't aware that it was going special delivery.

Realistically is it worth it.

Gosh I hope folks are getting plenty out of it.

Are there lots of commercail packets in there. I tend to put seeds in poly zippies as they weigh a lot.

The roiginal cost from Canada was $64, but that was because Joh chose to send it express as the first one got lost, without that it would have been $22 less but of course going airmail would boost the price anyway.

Is there anyway the weight can be cut down, eg is it in a box, can it be put in a postal poly sack.

Is it growing.. I think originally we thought it would get smaller.

If anyone is concerned about the cost and wants out please let me know.

Realistically, is there anything in there that weighs heavy that is very ordinary that could be taken out, like Scarlett Emp beans..rare beans are different but if it has lots of everday stuff it might be worth pulling some stuff out, when it started it was filled with quite different stuff??

Anyone else got any ideas, it is amazing and rather special but logically if it is getting too expensive to post on we should address that.

For my part I wouldn't worry about the insurance aspect of it.

There have been parcels that vanished sadly 2 of the "vanished"parcels went with the same person.  Again with another 2 parcels that I had nothing to do with vanished with newbies who also vanished at the same time, but I have not had any scary feelings about anyone that is on this one so I am 100% certain that is not an issue.

I will give it some thought, I feel a bit responsible and will reimburse anyone who has had to pay too much to send to insure high amount, deliver it fast etc that was not strictly needed, I  am sorry but I just simply didn'r realise that this was happening.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 23:53:35 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal