Author Topic: Wire cage thingamajiggies!  (Read 2037 times)

JasonK9

• Not So New ...
Wire cage thingamajiggies!
« on: June 15, 2010, 17:33:01 »
Hey all,

Seriously new to veg growing, I am a dog trainer by trade!

We have a small plot 15ft x 15ft for our veggies. To try our hand at home grown veggies etc, our young children planted some onions last year and we harvested them this week! Don't know if we did right but they taste good!

Now we have the bug!

Anyway, I have been given some wire arch cage things by a friend who is renovating some old farm barns. He says they are for keeping pigeons etc off seedlings? Not sure if this is right though. The mesh is quite rusty as they have been in the barns for many years, but a quick once over with a wire brush will have them sorted in no time.

I have kept a few of them, but as our plot is only small we have too many. I am wondering if anybody nearby has any use for some of the spares? We are located in Teesside. If I get time, I will wire brush them myself, but cant promise.

I look forward to talking more with you experts!  :)

Kind regards,
Jason.

Ps. I have photos of the cages, and can email if requested.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
Re: Wire cage thingamajiggies!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 17:35:15 »
welcome!

thats a very lovely offer, wish i lived closer your lucky that you managed to grab them :)
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

JasonK9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 19:07:44 »
Thanks for the welcome!

Hopefully someone can make use of them!

Jason.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:59:41 »
Gosh, wish i lived closer, i am having so much problems at the moment with rabbits and birds eating my beans, cabbages and lettuces. my allotment is getting to be covered in netting

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:00:46 »
Lucky you Jason! You will see their value as the seasons pass. I wish I lived closer as well. Someone may be lucky though ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

JasonK9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 22:34:12 »
Good evening,

These cloche frame thingys are still here. If nobody wants them I shall eBay them!

Kind regards,
Jason.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:37 »
Hi Jason,

Good luck with your garden, I got the bug last year and have found it terribly addictive  - hope your kids continue to love it and to eat all the wonderful things you'll grow. My daughter is just turning 12 and loves the allotment - have found this such a blessing and very unexpected so have been letting her make choices, have her own bed to tend, let her choose fruit trees etc.

I am very tempted by your offer of cages but don't think I can justify the petrol as I'm in Newcastle. Hope you find good home for them one way or another. 

Bronwen

ncd72

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 20:56:47 »
Hi - where abouts are you Jason?

thanks

Neil

ncd72

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 20:58:33 »
Just realised - did'nt see it on bottom line - a little far for me to mate.

Hope they go to a good home.

thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 21:57:05 »
Someone on our site has got some rusty wire cages and I must say I am impressed with them.  We have problems with all sorts, rabbits, deer etc etc and they structures do seem to do the business rfust and all.  I would love them but you are a little too far. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal