Author Topic: another squash question  (Read 1410 times)

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
another squash question
« on: June 14, 2010, 22:01:10 »
I have just planted butternut squash along the inside edge of my fruit cage alongside soft fruit bushes with the intention of threading them around and between the bushes (I have run out of space!). I justified it in my mind by thinking that the foliage will provide a temporary 'mulch' to keep the moisture in for the fruit. The downside is that if I don't get there frequently enough they will be climbing all over the bushes possibly damaging branches. Was I being too optimistic, or will it work? Any comments welcome!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: another squash question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 22:03:48 »
Maybe not... which variety of butternut did you plant, some will vine a fair way, some only semi vine and some are bush, like courgettes are.

If you tell me the variety I can tell you it's growth habits.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 22:13:15 »
sorry Jeannine, I don't know, last years trailed a long way, assumed they were all the same! assuming they do trail, will I be OK?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 22:39:42 »
Make sure your squashes can get pollinated inside a fruit cage. I made the mistake one year of putting one inside fine netting over cabbages, and had to keep pollinating it by hand.

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 22:43:12 »
good point, will watch  for this.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 00:05:55 »
My butteruts ran far last year, some over an azalea which didn't hurt it. A tender bush might be a different story. Currently mine are running everywhere- they get checked and rerouted daily to keep them from covering the blueberries etc.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 05:51:36 »
THe three most common varieties in the UK (Hunter F1, Harrier F1 and Waltham Butternut) all vine a fair bit, however they all seem fairly ground-based, they don't climb the way a Tromba di Albenga or some of therest of the moschatas do.

chrisc

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:41 »
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much,even if a vining type you can direct the vine a bit yourself and if close to a fence, put a loop of soft string around the stem periodically and tie that to the fence, it will max out at about 10-12 feet tops.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 15:18:07 »
You can also chop off the end of the vine and stick it in the ground to stop it growing in that direction. Makes for a stronger vine too.
This year it's squash.

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 22:17:48 »
Thanks all, nothing to worry about then, just re-route, and terminate!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal