Author Topic: Lovely experience!  (Read 1303 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Lovely experience!
« on: July 10, 2010, 21:40:09 »
As many of you will know we are helping our daughter with her allotment ::). OH is double digging trenching & manuring it for her. We have planted as we have gone along so she can pick a few bits. The other plot holders have been very generous & given us things for her. I said the fruit bed was a bit bare as the bushes are small ATM. Immediately a voice from across the way said "I have 24 lettuce & 24 turnips you can have" Wonderful.
Well today she went up their with her youngest (4) to do some weeding. She went at 11.30 & got home after 3pm but felt she had only been there for about ah hour. She met some of the lovely people we have been fortunate to meet & little one played with  the granddaughter of one of them. She came home with strawberries, shallots & spring onions from one of her kind neighbours, she had a wonderful time. I am now putting together an allotment starter kit ;). My hardly warn hunter wellies (bunion won't let me wear them), small & large dibber, a patio weeder as lots of weed seem to grow at the edge of the raised beds. Lots of seeds, she is desperate to sow, seed trays etc.
I do hope she will get as much pleasure as her dad & I have from lottying.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Lovely experience!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:55 »
It would strike me as inevitable that she would enjoy her lottie, she has got an excellent teacher and Mum. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 05:31:34 »
It's brilliant when you share the same interest with your children  :) My son has had a small allotment for a few months but unfortunately does not live near enough for me to go and help very often. 

I'm sure your daughter will enjoy hers!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:06 »
Her site sounds fantastic, with such helpful sharing people. It seems your daughter and granddaughter are already having a lovely experience there and with the two of you to help and guide her, I think it will not be long before she is loving it  :)
You have worked so hard getting the lottie going, it is going to be lovely for you hearing the progress they make  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 16:18:09 »
Thank you folks but we couldn't have done it without all the advice from A4A & a heck of a lot of manure ;). Eight tons so far, just run out for the final 2 trenches & beds. I am on the case & have just phoned a local organic farm who may have some we can bag up ;D.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 18:36:26 »
Well look at that,, we came first,,before eight  tons of manure, isn't that something. I can think of a time when manure would have won all hands down. ::) ::)XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 19:20:50 »
Quite right to ;). Organic manure sorted, lovely man even told me where the bags & we'd just bought some too ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 19:27:10 »
It is lovely to be able to share allotmenting with your children.  Mine hate gardening.  Though if I provide the veg my daughter is an amazing cook.  But she hates slugs and other creepy crawlies especially spiders. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 20:47:14 »
It just gets better ;D. We were there yesterday & Alan came over telling OH what a grand job he was doing :-*. OH said he would make a fence for the back in front of the tree trunks as they would be to much for OH to deal with. I'll get those out for you he said. OH thought it would be to much but no he said he's taken out bigger trees than those. Wonderful.
There's time yet Digeroo. Even though our daughter has had her name down for 4 years for a lotty she only took an interest in the home garden last year. She was 40 :) 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal