General > Assisted Gardening

Setting up allotments for disabled people

(1/3) > >>

delboy:
Is there a site on the Net for this?

We met with the local authority the other week and mentioned we would like to do something, but there was no help being offered, so any information would be appreciated from sites where this has happened.

Many thanks in advance

manicscousers:
Have a look on the allotment regeneration site, they had a link we used a while ago  :) http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/

Unwashed:
I think a good strategy is to find people who would like to but can't take an allotment, and find out from them what prevents them and together work out what adaptations would overcome their exclusion.  It's not easy because you have to reach people who would never have thought of getting an allotment, and when you do they might not necessarily be able to tell you honestly why they are excluded, but that's the challenge.

For instance, some people need ready access to a toilet so if the site doesn't have one they're stuffed, but they might simply be too embarrassed to tell you that their incontinence is excluding them, and some people are so painfully afraid of being spoken to or being alone on the site that an allotment is an impossibility but they might not have the courage or even insight to articulate their disability.

I'd suggest Thrive is a good place to start.

Jeannine:
I have been given part of the disabled site on our lottie, as well as the one that John and I do together. It is only one bed but it is about 3 feet wide by about 20 foot long , it is just about the same height as my dining table. I can dig or plant with hand tools and find it very easy to work. Made of stacked wood, probably 6"x6" stacked.

It was built by the members.

XX Jeannine

manicscousers:

--- Quote from: Jeannine on June 10, 2010, 19:36:56 --- It is only one bed but it is about 3 feet wide by about 20 foot long , it is just about the same height as my dining table. I can dig or plant with hand tools and find it very easy to work.

It was built by the members.

XX Jeannine

--- End quote ---
they're the sort of beds we have for our disabled group, mine are creeping up, about 2'6" at the moment so's I can sit on a plank stretched between them  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version