Author Topic: Bean and pea swap  (Read 29944 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: Bean and pea swap
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2010, 13:16:23 »
Sorry to be a 'Luddite' Digeroo, I would love to join in, have registered on Google but how do I access your spreadsheet - am I going about it the wrong way?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2010, 13:26:48 »
I was not expecting any leftovers.   If you have say 10 and only 5 are chosen I was not expecting people to send the extra to me.  I was hoping to do as much sorting and swapping on line and then have one big packet sorting session.  

What I am not sure about is if someone offers say 20 assorted packets but only 10 are chosen but then wants to choose 20.  

Basically this is a new experience for me so it is a learning curve.  Just keep the comments and suggestions coming and between us I am sure we can come to some kind of amicalble agreement.  

I personally have lots of some varieties and only a few of others so for some I can produce extra packets if the need arises.  I have a huge tub full of Mrs Lewis.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2010, 13:30:57 »
For anyone who would like to join pm your email addy.  I then set this up on the spreadsheet you get an email and follow the link to the spreadsheet.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2010, 15:01:34 »
I suppose if it looks like there would be more takers than it is offered it can be mentioned before hand ???...Many of the varieties I've got more available...I just haven't bagged up as all that are bagged looks like quite a pile.
But we get there..we just have to get our heads together for the sharing bit ;)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2010, 16:26:10 »
I was not expecting any leftovers.   If you have say 10 and only 5 are chosen I was not expecting people to send the extra to me.  I was hoping to do as much sorting and swapping on line and then have one big packet sorting session.  

What I am not sure about is if someone offers say 20 assorted packets but only 10 are chosen but then wants to choose 20.
That makes sense - I hadn't realised the swaps are sorted out prior to posting the actual beans hence the question about leftovers.

I think if someone offers 20 and only 10 are chosen they should only get their top ten choices - seems fair to me that way (just my opinion  :) )

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2010, 17:19:06 »
for me it sorta makes sense for the people offering the rare/unusual varieties to have first 'bite' of other rare/unusual varieties - and I personally (not being able to offer unusual varieties) would be more than happy to be offered fewer seeds of the unusual varieties just so I could give them a go - if any of that makes sense  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2010, 17:42:37 »
I suppose the only problem with sorting before sending is that some might not actually arrive.  But at least unlike the round robin system the whole package will not go missing. 

So at the moment I am thinking
1.  Start spreadsheet - done   ;D
2.  Add offers - In progress  seems to be going well   ;D
3.  Everyone makes their choices, preferences and don't wants
4.   Allocation :o :o   :'(   ??? ???
5.  Send seed plus stamped address envelope
6.  Sort
7.  Resend
8.  Ignore moans and groans.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2010, 17:56:05 »
I suppose the only problem with sorting before sending is that some might not actually arrive.  But at least unlike the round robin system the whole package will not go missing. 

So at the moment I am thinking
1.  Start spreadsheet - done   ;D
2.  Add offers - In progress  seems to be going well   ;D
3.  Everyone makes their choices, preferences and don't wants
4.   Allocation :o :o   :'(   ??? ???
5.  Send seed plus stamped address envelope
6.  Sort
7.  Resend
8.  Ignore moans and groans.

9.  Graciously accept thanks and applause!  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2010, 18:47:29 »
I have saved my seeds for this swap with a intention to get rid when time comes..would anybody have objection if I 'just' send all allocated bags to Digeroo and if any left they can be shared and added as bonus bags if wanted.
Or if Digeroo wants to keep them..so be it.. ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 18:52:47 by goodlife »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2010, 23:11:06 »
Basically french beans climbers and dwarf mostly come true so your tiger beans will be fine.  Runner beans and broad beans are promiscuous so the results are variable unless you manually pollinate.

We are accepting standard varieties but there will be fewer choices.  If you read back over this thread it gives the rules  etc on page 6 of this thread.

Please pm me your email addy if you would like to join.

Graciously accept thanks and applause!
  Lets hope so something is sure to go wrong but hopefully it will work out somehow.

My house is full of beans and other seeds already I don't want too many extra bags.  Though it might be nice to have a few extra so those without heritage or unusual varieties can get a foot in the door as it were.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2010, 13:00:29 »
Ohh...nice to see that the list is growing ;D I think peas and beans are furthest from folks minds at the moment ..other than in soups ::)
Another 2 months and hopefully I can sow first ones into GH...I wish...

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2010, 08:04:03 »
I've got 200 Ice/Crystal Wax dwarf French.  Attractive, delicate foliage, bi-coloured peach and white flowers.  Filet beans which turn almost white, palest green at eating stage, streaked with mauve as they dry out.  A particularly sweet and crisp bean, no strings.
I did suggest I'd swap these earlier, but I'm going to have to duck out for this year because I'm going away soon, most likely before the negotiations are over and I'm not sure I'll make it back in the spring to plant stuff anyhow, though that was my plan.

Anyway it's a shame not to spread the HSL seeds so I'll put these up in swap shop for an SAE.  Goodlife, there's a bag with your name on already  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2010, 13:47:42 »
Code: [Select]
Goodlife, there's a bag with your name on already 
Ohh..I only just noticed this.... ;D ;D I sent you PM already through the other post ;) GREAT! and THANK YOU of thinking of me ;D ;D
If possible I would like to return the favour..when time is right for you..Hopefully you get back for in time to grow at least something.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2011, 16:37:48 »
I just thought to remind folks that we haven't done this swap yet ;)
So.......if you got some to get rid of....aquire new ones..... ;) ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:13 »
There are only eight people on board at the moment.  I though perhaps people were a bit tied up with Xmas.  I am just going on Hols for a while so will get going big time when I get back.  Perhaps people will want to join in then.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:51 »
It's a long way yet so I wouldn't expect a rush.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2011, 15:48:14 »
I've managed to lose the web page for this; can someone remind me where it is?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 14:44:29 »
There are only eight people on board at the moment.  I though perhaps people were a bit tied up with Xmas.  I am just going on Hols for a while so will get going big time when I get back.  Perhaps people will want to join in then.

oopos sorry.... been busy then got ill, now even busier :d... will try and sort out mine this week, if I get the shed finished tonight.......

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2011, 13:38:32 »
I've got all my beans shelled out now, do you want me to fill in the form?... trouble is I've pretty much got all the beans I want to grow this year already, I could jsut send you some to distibute as you want.....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2011, 19:51:28 »
I can manage about half a dozen pea varieties.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal