Author Topic: the holes in debris netting  (Read 2044 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
the holes in debris netting
« on: June 11, 2010, 19:11:59 »
I am the proud owner of rather a lot of debris netting (this is the year for overwintering brassicas). It has a row of holes all the way down the middle - very useful if you are putting it on scaffolding, less useful if you want to keep out butterflies etc.
For those who use the netting - do you live with these holes or have you closed them? If you have closed them whats the easier way?!!
thanks

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Re: the holes in debris netting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 20:00:49 »
hi Gywnleg
We have just put up a large brassica tunnel -about 4 metres long- and used debris netting. We set the hoops at 1 metre each so the holes came at the same place as the hoops. We used string threaded through the holes around the hoops. This has made it lay against the hoops so nothing can get in them.  It did take  a bit of time but it was really worth it. Have noticed that others that have used debris netting have just left the holes. So far we have really good looking brassicas and haven't found any cabbage whites have got in. Last year they just laughed at us and folded their wings and hopped through the usual type of netting. We spent many an hour chasing them out of the brassicas. ::). I really think for peace of mind you can either do as we have or if you have a sewing machine then run a line of stitching down the row of holes., but remember that the netting does stretch. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 20:16:44 by Jeanbean »

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 20:16:19 »
If you can put a tent peg in the ground at each end, attach a length of twine to the top of each end of your canopy and pull it tight, the holes close up. Check after rain though as the twine slackens  ;).

Ninny

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09:19 »
Both those ideas are good ones :) I also thought you could use Gaffa tape (you know the really sticky stuff )

good luck

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:46:11 »
I got a needle with a large eye and garden twine to stitch it up! It took a while, but I am expecting it to last a few years.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:54:40 »
Thanks all, really good ideas!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal