Author Topic: Water butt - how long does it take to fill?  (Read 15561 times)

Mme Muck

• Not So New ...
  • il faut cultiver notre jardin
Water butt - how long does it take to fill?
« on: June 07, 2010, 20:45:59 »
If I fit a water butt by my shed (7x5) - I'm wondering roughly how many days of rain will it take to fill?  Mr Muck thinks I'm getting too excited about my butt and I will end up having to fill it from the tap (which I wouldn't want to do as it kind of defeats the object) ???. 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Water butt - how long does it take to fill?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 20:54:38 »
Have you got any guttering on your shed? It will fill a lot quicker if it is fed from the run-off from the roof into the gutter than if you just collect the rain that falls directly into it.

Mme Muck

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 21:05:07 »
Yes, the intention is to fit guttering on the shed (none as yet).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 21:14:30 »
Depends how often it rains, how much we get at a time, and how big your roof is. It doesn't take that long, barring a drought.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 21:35:11 »
Bit of a mathematical problem this.

Firstly, a 7x5ft shed, 7x5=35sq ft (the measurement is usually the overall measurement of the roof)

Then take the square footage of your water butt and divide the 35sq ft by that and that will give you the number of inches for 1in of rainfall. Divide the height of your butt by that and you have the number of inches of rainfall required to fill the butt (approx.).

Or how long is a piece of string?
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Mme Muck

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 21:50:06 »
errm...thanks for the maths... ;) well I think I'll just get some kind of butt and wait for it to fill...

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 22:57:46 »
What Larkshall said.  Or another way, every 1mm of rain fills the butt with 3.1 litres of rain, so for example a 200 litre water butt would be filled with 200/3.1 = 64mm of rain, which is around the monthly average.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 23:00:38 »
OK, easier maths.... standard big plastic water butt is 200 litres or thereabouts, a litre is a cubic decimetre. A 7x5 shed translates into 21.5 decimetres by 15 decimetres, a surface area of around 320 square decimetres.... therefore you need 200/320 decimetres of rain to fill it. Conveniently that's 5/8 and as a decimetre is near as dammit 4 inches you will see that it requires 2.5 inches of rain to fill the butt, assuming perfect guttering and no evaporation losses etc. If you use a 1000 litre IBC as your water butt then you would need 12.5 inches of rain to fill it.....

chrisc

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 23:04:55 »
1 Inch of rain means approx 83 l of water, lets say 90l to include what falls straight into the butt.
Average rainfall in Chester for a summer month is about 1.8 inches, or 162l

Lets say you have a standard 210l butt, so that is 1.3 months to fill.

Or anotherway of looking at it, full all winter when you don't want it, and empty all summer when you do want it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 23:05:41 »
If it rains a lot not long :D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:57:23 »
It will be full when it is full ;D ;D ;D

It will also depend how much water you are using as it is filling, therefore preventing it from filling. 8) 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:09 »
If I fit a water butt by my shed (7x5) - I'm wondering roughly how many days of rain will it take to fill?  Mr Muck thinks I'm getting too excited about my butt and I will end up having to fill it from the tap (which I wouldn't want to do as it kind of defeats the object) ???. 

I do not think colonic irrigation has anything to do with it tell him ;D ;D ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:24 »
My slimline Tesco butt has taken about 6 weks to fill, but most of that has been in the last 2 days! ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 22:26:46 »
I have three in-a-line water butts fed from the guttering of my 7' x 5' pent-roofed shed. It rained most of the day yesterday - 1/2" according to my rainfall measuring thingy. This morning the first butt was full (previously emptied to top up the pond) and the second one is 3/4 full. They each hold about 220 litres. I have two more fed from the house roof which were both empty and are now full and one more which is fed from the porch roof which is now almost full. What a relief! - now I'll be able to keep my celeriac nice and wet for a while  :).

Tricia

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 23:09:15 »
A lot longer than it takes to empty  8) ::) ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 00:12:55 »
My ,there aren't 'alf some clever clogs on 'ere... three men and a butt!! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal