Author Topic: Interesting sounding beetroot. new to me  (Read 2555 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Interesting sounding beetroot. new to me
« on: April 08, 2016, 21:46:44 »
I have just found an old heirloom beetroot seeds that looks like a carrot, McGregors Favourite Beet. Does anyone know it. My neighborhood rat doesn't eat me carrots so I wondered.

I wish I had the space to save the seeds.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Interesting sounding beetroot. new to me
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:07:23 »
Grew that one time and found the root size a disappointment - lots of leaves but small roots. Ok for salad leaves perhaps? :happy7:

Cheltenham Green Top is a good long beet or my own personal favourite, Cylindra, a variety that stays tender and tasty however large it grows.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:12:48 »
My Father's favourite. Reminds me of Bulls Blood.

I have some seed if you would like to try it.

I have just found an old heirloom beetroot seeds that looks like a carrot, McGregors Favourite Beet. Does anyone know it. My neighborhood rat doesn't eat me carrots so I wondered.

I wish I had the space to save the seeds.

XX Jeannine
Jackie

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 12:21:35 »

No beets have foliage that look like carrots, so I think you're on a loser.

But golden beet and white beet taste noticeably different (and the visible shoulders of the root look even more like carrots) - worth a try - very useful in stews because they don't bleed and you still get that lovely sweet earthy taste. Same goes for pink-ringed chioggia beet - but they do look identical to ordinary beet from the outside. Golden beet are more tasty for eating in salads - I've never tried pickling them - they are delicious but never seem to give a big enough crop for that.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 20:11:49 »
 Thank you for the offer of seeds Hector but  I ordered the seeds a few days ago and they are on there way as we speak.They are from Territorial seed in the US, there is a picture of  them harvested and they do look just the size of a regular carrot although I believe the  main function is  leaves. I have  Cylindra is in the ground already so am hoping Mr Rat leaves that one alone.  The foliage does not look like carrots Vinlander, the shape of the beet does!!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal