Author Topic: You know the saying, after a hard frost  (Read 1564 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
You know the saying, after a hard frost
« on: June 03, 2010, 15:20:00 »
you get a bumper fruit harvest ;D
plums, peaches, figs and tayberries  :P

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: You know the saying, after a hard frost
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 15:25:50 »
For the second winter running the frosts were so severe that my fig has been frozen back to its crown and is only just regenerating, the tayberry has had its branches frozen to about a foot above ground and all my winter crops were frozen to mush.  Even the blueberries have been half frozen and have lots of dead wood.

However, it's going to be a bumper year again for blackcurrants and the rhubarb is prolific.   Strawberries look good if their flowers are any indication and fingers crossed for the damsons and redcurrants.
Obxx - Vendée France

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 15:54:40 »
I didn't know this saying! But I admit that I have loads of gooseberries this year (netted this time, bastard birds!) and the raspberries already have flowers and tiny tiny fruit in abundance. SO maybe it's true.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 16:13:06 »
 I seem to have tons and tons of goosgogs, strawberries, raspberries, and laods of plum blossom came.

As for the whitecurrants I thought last year was a glut, my god ive got bushes covered this year

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 16:16:44 »
Those hedgerows should give out more again this year.
Better get more baskets to fill with blackberries.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 17:28:34 »
I also had not heard this saying but it certainly looks like being true. 

I certainly am hopeful of a bumper best over crop of logan berries and my red currants are dripping.  Raspberries looking good too.   Though it is very dry and I am concerned that they will not fatten up properly.  Stinging nettles growing huge.  Climbing rose more flowers than usual.  Apple tree was totally covered in blossom but we had a hard frost at the wrong time so I  do not think we are going to get a huge crop.  The rhubard is enormous, metre (yard) plus long stems and huge leaves.

Bay tree was covered in flowers no sure whether that is a good thing but it has never done it before.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 18:24:50 »
All blossom is good so we live in hope.

But be prepared to thin severely.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 19:07:20 »
Talking of harsh frosts, I have a standard olive tree & it has lost all of its leaves with the harsh Winter. The stem is green when I scratched it but the top looks dead. What should I do please.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 19:28:21 »
Now that is a plant that I haven't grown.. ::)..but my instinct says that all you can do is keep it watered and see what happens..if it is alive..it will eventually start growing...if it has died..well in some plants the wood stays green quite a while untill slowly going brown and crispy...and that's definately dead then..
Just be careful not to over water,,keep it in just moist side..as it won't use much moisture not having leaves..you should only try to keep the roots going and rest will follow if there is will left.. ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 20:18:59 »
Thank you Goodlife I will do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal