Author Topic: My aubergine attacked me  (Read 1654 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
My aubergine attacked me
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:44 »
There's gratitude for you  ::)   ;)  :D

Yup - I'm growing Long Purple Aubergine and they have spikes growing down the centre of the leaves. Got a bit of a shock from that! I'm now wondering what kind of pest they are designed to keep off?!

will have to try and get a photo as I've never seen them before

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: My aubergine attacked me
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:56:54 »
Oh yeah, aubergines are right B&*^%$(s with their spikes! They all have them to a greater or lesser extent, they grow round the top of the fruit. I always harvest with gloves and scissors!
teh worse things though are raspberries and goosegogs, got so many nasty spikings from those  :'( :'( :'(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 13:16:46 »
Just be grateful we don't grow many Pineapples over here.
I am a chef and spiked myself while cutting the skin off a Pineapple once,it became so badly infected that it took nearly 3 months of antibiotics to clear it.
 when we were touring the Pineapple fields in Hawaii I happened to mention it,we were told that losing a finger or two due to this was quite common among Pineapple pickers up until recent times.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 18:22:04 »
A recent EU Commission report has suggested that all aubergine varieties grown for supermarkets should be spine free as a result of legal action being taken by shoppers being pricked.

True or just my stupid sense of humour?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 15:25:33 »
Cleo - I'm praying that it's your sense of humour  ;D

I don't seem to remember spikes on last years, but then the crop was so chuffing poor that might have more to do with it  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal