Author Topic: Achilles Heel  (Read 4319 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Achilles Heel
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 18:58:15 »
cauliflower, leek and really good sweetcorn. I can get sweetcorn, but it never looks as good as everyone elses. The leeks never fatten up and the cauliflower usually bolt. The first year we had the plot we had amazing cauliflowers and we have never managed since to even grow a single one!

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 19:49:31 »
Carrots for me - but this year I think/hope we might even manage to grow more than we can eat ;D  Great, cos I love 'em more than pretty much anything else!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 21:05:20 »
peas - I sowed SIX lots last year in my attempts to manage at least one dinner.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 22:36:59 »
Carrots, brussels and caulis.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 22:45:47 »
Carrots (can grow in a compost filled bath only), sweetcorn (miserable) and rocket - always bolts whatever the temperature.

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:11 »
peas - I sowed SIX lots last year in my attempts to manage at least one dinner.

Oh yes, forgot about peas! >:(

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 09:43:47 »
well, where to start!!

Peas - I always have high hopes and they never seem to be realised and I end up buying peas from the greengrocers  ::)

Then moving swiftly on to sweetcorn (fingers crossed for this year) and cauli's (bolted last year)

for next year I will probably be adding to the list swede, celery and celeriac  ::)  :P

But don't us gardeners like a challenge  ;)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 10:58:45 »
Brussel sprouts to date but this year they look ok at the moment :-X oh and hot chillis that won't germinate.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:49 »
Every year I decide to give aubergines one last chance, if I don't get a fruit then that's it (well maybe one more chance)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 13:07:27 »
All brassicas  >:(
I have tried for 3 years to grow cabbages, cauliflowers or brocilli, each year they germinate and then die. Thinking this must be due to damping off this year I mixed sand into the compost, reduced watering and then only from the bottom.  I though I had cracked it and they produced their first true leaves - and then died.  Just sowed some more in a last ditch attempt for this year.

Me too, last year i had a last attempt to grow sprouts for Christmas, having previously had the first two sowings die, they grew fantastic, but the sprouts were not firm, tried again this year, bought some expensive seeds, 10 maximus for 95p, all germinated then died. I'm sticking to lettuce!

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 21:53:42 »
Sprouts . The last two years they have blown!I got told by the nursery i go to that my soil was too  rich and not to manure it this year. Trying Bedford and Trafalgar this time!

Carrots. Last year i Tried 4 different varieties in my raised bed. all had plenty of top foliage but very small carrots?

Peppers. will not germinate!New  seed used ?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:24 »
Carrots have been a real pain for me, wont grow anywhere or way that I try them, not in pots, not at allotment so have given up with them for this year.

Spring onions are the same keep failing in pots, raised beds & in the ground but leeks & onions do fine ::)
This year is the last time I will try them if they fail again.

Normally I have wonderful beetroot crops but this year germination from direct sowing is so poor I am starting some off at home for the first time ever! Im wondering if its because of the widely fluctuating temperstures we've been having - today is very very hot already & its not even 9am but Tuesday it was so cold, damp & foggy it truly felt like November :o  

I am trying swede, parsnips & turnips for the first time this year so will probably be adding them to my dont think I will try again list

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 19:54:07 »
Spring onions ans swede....but i'm determined this will be the year....
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal