Author Topic: toddler-safe anti-slug/snail stuff  (Read 2015 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
toddler-safe anti-slug/snail stuff
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:10 »
What can I use to help control my slug/snail population that won't poison my son (or the local bird, frog and hedgehog population) or cost a fortune?

I thought beer traps, but I worry about him finding and drinking it! (and I don't want to give my money to a brewery or ask a pub leftovers) Is there something else I can use instead of beer in a trap?

I can't use nemato(what they called?) as I've got clay soil.

At the moment thet population seems quite small as we're new to the house and the garden hasn't been gardened for years. But it was like this in our old house and after feeding the slugs and snails with my various attempts to grow yummy things, there were loads of the blighters after a few years and I struggled to grow anything!
gone to pot :D

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: toddler-safe anti-slug/snail stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:26 »
What you can use is called..child labour...get your todler to collect and look for those little things for you..make it like a game..you son will be entetained while looking for them..collect them in bucket or something and you can then get rid of them in your own time.. ;)..and you can practice little counting with him same time or naming them..all good education.. ;D..sprinkle of salt over comes to my mind..and then once truly dead ..well dig a hole and off they go...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:23:41 »
ooh - that sounds like fun. Other than the salt bit!

I know what we'll be doing this afternoon: it's wet and drizzly today, so perfect snail/slug hunting weather!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:39:19 »
If you don't like to kill them other option is to have walk to the wild side and let them go...he might like that too...like giving them a new home and to see how fast they will disappear. ;D..woodland would be good idea..then there is nobody to get upset about that you are releasing near them..unless you have chickens..they will cherish few new friends.. ;)..big snails will need crushing first though ::)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 14:33:39 »
Part of the reason I want chickens is to feed them slugs and snails. Eggs are just a bonus!

Typically we found absolutely no slugs or snails on our hunt, even with Buzz Lightyear helping. I suppose that's a good thing.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 17:16:52 »
so you've done it then ;D..I hope it was fun..try the same with torch light.. ;D ;D...little lads love that..the great hunters...I know I do.. ;D(even I'm not lad.. ::))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal