Author Topic: ponds for begginers  (Read 2579 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
ponds for begginers
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:54 »
Hi

Well we've been busy building a pond in the garden ;D And we've ordered the liners, pumps and all that malarkey.  It's a small pond, and won't have any fish, and we are hoping the toads will avail themselves of the pond next spring  ;)

BUT I know nothing about ponds and planting.

Is there a good website out there for pond beginners !! Basically I look at sites (including here) and see suggestions for planting, so I'm starting to get some ideas but (for instance) I have no idea as to how many oxygenating plants I need, plus other questions that I have and have yet to have!!
Do any of you know of some good on-line resources for a complete novice?

In the meantime - I'm sooooooooo excited about having a pond  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: ponds for begginers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:50:13 »
I've been reading up this too

Here's a couple of sites with plenty of reading

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/pond/pond_pages.htm

http://watergarden.com/pages/plant_care.html
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:33:52 »
Thanks Elhuerto - I'm off for a read. Lots to learn  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:22:00 »
I'd like to comment on one statement in one of the above articles which said:
"Remember - the fish will eat your tadpoles, tiny froglets and other water creatures! So, decide what type of pond you want before you go any further."

We've had goldfish peacefully coexisting with frogs and tadpoles since the pond went in years ago. In fact sometimes we've felt there were too many frogs. We do not feed the fish, they just eat bugs that fall in. Perhaps the article is referring to koi?

Anyway, I was excited to hear of your plans to put in ponds as they are forever interesting changing with the seasons.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:24:36 by GrannieAnnie »
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:07 »
well its built and up and running  ;D Its tiny - approx 6ft by 2ft and about 1.5 ft deep, with some stones and pebbles at one end to hide the pump and help (hopefully) the toads get in and out. The best bit will happen this week as I've gone and ordered a lilly from Wetland Plants - a small dark red one  8). And will be getting the oxygenating plants at the same time
The one thing I'm struggling with is which marginals to plant. Lots seem very invasive - maybe I'm being over cautious? Any recommendations?

1066  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal