Author Topic: How are your different varieties of potatoes doing?  (Read 1824 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
How are your different varieties of potatoes doing?
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:30:22 »
I’m growing a few different types of potato this year including Blue Danube, Una, Vitelotte mini tubers and my own saved ones, Ash Leaf Kidney, Bolivian Yellowhesh, Tibet, Russian Banana, Russian Blue, Ratte, Setanta, Mr Little’s Yetholm Gypsy and some TPS Sarpo Axona x. Most are new to me varieties

Some plants are only just breaking the surface(later plantings), whilst others are flowering.  I still have some Charlotte and Blue Danube to be planted into bags. I’m hoping (although blight may have other ideas) the Charlottes will provide late new potatoes, with some being left in bags in their compost for use in December and beyond.

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

These gorgeous flowers are Russian Blue and the foliage shows a dark mid rib and stems, tubers will be purple. Setanta and Vitelotte also have similar dark foliage.

Some of the tubers I’m growing this year have been very kindly given in swaps, so a big thank you to you. So far they are all doing really well and it’s not going to be too much longer till tasting time  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: How are your different varieties of potatoes doing?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 10:31:48 »
I've only got Rocket this year. Put them in about 7 weeks ago and they are doing ok, not very big yet, about 6"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 13:02:24 »
If I remember correctly I've got Ratte, Bonnie, Pink Fir Apple and ... I've forgotten the fourth one!
But they're all barely poking their heads above the ground.

Mind you I didn't have any manure or compost to add to the soil, so that might be something to do with it. I'll get something out of them though - that's the great thing about taters.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 13:15:37 »
We've been eating ours since 21st May,the Arran pilot are a good size but sadly not a very good texture/flavour.Some Home guard grown at home in a raised bed aren't huge but lovely flavour.
We grew 6 tubers of several varieties last year and Lady Chrystle was the best along with Yukon gold which sadly we couldn't find this year  :(
Strangely our main crop Desiree have flowered ? ???
sanity is overated

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 13:41:17 »
Okay I reckon!
[attachment=1]
I've got a handful of Foremost,  a row each of Swift and Charlotte, and two rows of Kestral and Desiree.  I've not had a firkle yet but maybe tomorrow... 8)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 15:12:21 »
All my varieties are doing well,

The mains have just started flowering now (desiree),

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 19:22:59 »
yep, all going like rockets despite the recent killing frosts. A few new to me this year - Dunbar Rover, Cabaret, Sunrise, Osprey as well as the usual Foremost, Kestrel (yum, my fave), Anya, whitchill and Rooster

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 21:46:51 »
Oh that is my favourite colour, I have never been able to come up with a name for the shade.

Looking good Jay, miles ahead of mine.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:50:16 »
I planted the King Edwards on 21.05.10 and earthed up straight away, they were planted approx 18" deep and are now about 4" high out of the mound :o I can't believe how quick the come through.

Neil

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:37 »
I ate a whole load of volunteer Charlottes from last year that I hadn't got around to removing before now. They were delicious, and in fact quite a good size! Just as good as the "real earlies", the Agata that I am just eating now.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 15:44:01 »
I planted late april and am earthing up for the third time now with rosettes of leaves the size of big dinner plates - can't wait to get flowers, I forgot about that bit :D I'm running out of spare earth to put on them...will it do any harm if I stop earthing them or do they need to remain covered over to keep encouraging them?

(edzell blue, pink fir apple, picasso, bambino, kestrel, and another I can't think of right now....)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 15:53:26 »
All doing well except for one (Nicola, I think), which was all shrivelled and poorly looking- the root was  practically non-existent when I pulled it out.  Any ideas?  I also spotted some flower buds on one of the Kestrels (but had no flowers on the one I grew in a bag and harvested at the weekend!).  I've noticed that the Charlottes are a lot flatter than the others, more like a plate of leaves.  I'm also growing Rooster, Pink Fir Apple, and Nadine.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 16:13:10 »
All doing well except one Picasso which  I pulled up.   The roots were mushy and had a tiny yellowish grub/worm.   Should I be worried?  The rest look fine.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 16:18:03 »
I've not had a firkle yet but it won't be long before I do!  :)
[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal