Author Topic: First Ginger Beer fo 50 years.  (Read 2906 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
First Ginger Beer fo 50 years.
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:17:28 »
When I was a teenager we used to make ginger beer and as I have been saving bottles for cider decided to put them to good use before the Autumn.

Using the Ginger Beer 'plant' mentioned in other threads I produced this attractive looking batch today.
[attachment=1][attachment=2]

The bottles are a from a Czechoslovakian dark larger from Tesco. Grolsch bottles would work as well although plastic make an unattractive alternative.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: First Ginger Beer fo 50 years.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:55:18 »
Ooh - I remember my dad making this many years ago..

Half the bottles exploded under the stairs and when you opened the rest - half of the contents of the bottle gushed out.
Ill never forget the smel though!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 22:05:36 »
Do be careful.

30 years ago my daughter was having a 13th birthday party and at the time home brew beer was the in thing.

I did not like the beer much but did like a ginger beer shandy. So since we were all home brewing. I had made my own ginger beer to go in with the brew himself made.

Now at the time I had no idea that home made ginger beer beer was alcoholic. It is.

Mind you, the kids did enjoy the party. Most of them opted for my home made stuff and as a couple of parents commented later.

Usually when they have been to a party it is hard to get them to 'come down to earth after....... But they went to bed and slept really well after yours............
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 22:13:17 by PurpleHeather »

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:35 »

The bottles are a from a Czechoslovakian dark larger from Tesco. Grolsch bottles would work as well although plastic make an unattractive alternative.

Do the bottles come with the tops or did you have to buy them seperate?

Neil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal