Author Topic: Does anyone have a Robinsons Rosette Greenhouse?  (Read 7139 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Does anyone have a Robinsons Rosette Greenhouse?
« on: February 10, 2010, 21:38:55 »
Hi there

I have recently bought a secondhand Rosette Greenhouse, 20'9 Long X 10' 6  Wide.  I'll need to dismantle it and transport it but am worried about how long some of the pieces may be.

Will some pieces be 20' long or are they modular?  Have asked Robinsons and the seller but no joy yet.

Any tips on how I could transport it?

Thanks everyone, rbt
Best laid plans and all that

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: Does anyone have a Robinsons Rosette Greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:21:50 »
I would think there will be 5 pieces  the full length of the greenhouse..
Ridge x 1, base x2 and bottom of apex x 2.

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/images/RosetteGreenhouse.pdf

Above is a link to guide to assembling a Rosette greenhouse .If it is same type.

Cheers .. Jim

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 18:04:17 »
Lucky you, mine is a Robinson the same size as the one you have bought, it must be well over 20 years old now, the ridge and gutter and base lengths are all in one length but very light.

When I assembled mine the first 12inch X 24inchwas soft asbestos type sheets and not glass, I put plastic used for gymnasium windows in its place, looking at the assembly instructions, looks the same as mine.

Mark it well with marker pen when you dismatle, you may have to buy new bolts and nuts when you assemble as they corrode and snap when undoing,(tell me to suck eggs) :D

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 18:28:49 »
Tape all the long lengths together and put on the car roof, how long is your boat?use the boat trailer ;D

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 19:02:37 »
I think I have bought exactly the same greenhouse as the bottom 12" are white, it has a partition 6 feet from the end.

Currently am thinking..
Put on roof rack but car is quite small so overhang will be huge - could tow a trailer so that the overhang is over the trailer.

OR

Hire a 7.5 tonne van which is 20' long - that way I could maybe put whole sections into the truck.

Could see if I could hire a boat trailer....

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:14:19 »
 Mine has partition inside as well it was an extra, just looked at it on eBay, jeez you got a bargain, they are about £4000.00+today.

If you want to play, click on the map on my details, zoom in with satellite it is two doors up from red pointer.

one of the auto vents is still working the rest I have had to replace (the wax filled openers), take some oil with you ,to slide roof lights in their track when dismantling.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 21:39:54 »
Fantastic, yes seeing yours has made me want to get it asap now.

We're going to hire a 7.5 tonne truck which is 20' long so am hoping that well be able to take the glass out and then put whole sections in the van.

Did you site yours on concrete or slabs or soil.

rbt

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 15:49:41 »
When I bought mine I was still youngish and dug down and built a two foot high wall base to ground level, and fixed it to that, my earth is very stony so sieved all the earth down to two feet inside the green house, and used the stones to make a path two feet wide down the centre up to the partition using shuttering, would kill me today  :D take plenty of photos especially the partition area and corners and bracings, good luck with your project
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 15:51:35 by petengade »

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 16:08:44 »
Looking at the photo, the side vents seem high, I started mine twelve inches from the base to get cool air lower down in the summer, its yours so it is up to you to put them where you want.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 08:37:39 »
I do agree that it is ideal to mark the glass and frame bits, self adhesive lables or marker pen.

It depends how far you have to travel. Glass does get brittle with age so if you are stacking it in the car, it is better to make an extra journey or two, especially if your roads are pot holed from the frost.

Aluminium is light and can be carried if the distance is not too far to walk otherwise, it could be fastened to the roof of a big car and gently bent with a little hanging over the front.

6am on a Sunday morning when there is no one about is a good time for travel, like that, especially if it is raining a bit.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 19:07:28 »
Hope I am not upsetting the Mods resurrecting this post, Raisedbedted all has gone quiet have you finished reassembling your beautiful greenhouse, are you picking tomato's yet? :)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 20:29:29 »
The greenhouse is up, it took 3 weekends to reassemble plus about 40 panes of new glass (ouch...£170).  But it is fantastic and has beome my second home, now home to 20 tomato plants, chilli's, aubergines, melons and far too many plants waiting to go into the garden.

Thanks to everyone who helped  :)
rbt

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33:09 »
A friend gave me some tomato seed, don't know the name, they taste nice and have a truss about every six inches will save some seed  and let you have some if you want, if it is like my green house it is too hot to spend a lot of time in there, have just bought some shading to brush on, last years washed off.
Get all the plants into the garden and get a recliner ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal