Author Topic: Pots in growbags  (Read 2528 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Pots in growbags
« on: May 30, 2010, 16:09:46 »
I am thinking of trying the method of using pots with the bottoms cut out, placed in a growbag.  I have never tried this method before but feel it should be better as far as watering goes.  I find that I can't get enough water into the growbags using an automatic sprinkler whereas pots would catch more. 

My question is: what size pots should I use for tomatoes given that I have giant Tomorite planters that will take three plants?  Also, should I use the same size pots for peppers and chillies and could I get more than three in these big growbags?

Your help is much appreciated.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Pots in growbags
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 16:44:00 »
8"-10" diameter with a similar height if possible.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 16:54:31 »
Just wondering, TG, if toms can grow in growbags, which are relatively shallow, why do you recommend such tall pots, which require a lot of compost?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 18:33:26 »
if toms can grow in growbags, which are relatively shallow, why do you recommend such tall pots, which require a lot of compost?

Tomatoes have a two tier root system!

Feeding roots at the top and water roots at the bottom!

You say;

feel it should be better as far as watering goes.  I find that I can't get enough water into the growbags using an automatic sprinkler whereas pots would catch more. 

Effectively the plants grow in the pot and the water roots seek out water from the grow bag, plus the surplus moisture from the pot will trickle through into the bag to form a reservoir.

Have a look at this slide show and see where  I use a bed of well rotted manure in lieu of grow bags.

Plus I part fill the pot/ring with farm yard manure!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Ring%20Culture/Method.htm

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 19:02:39 »
So would you say that using smaller pots (6-7") for ring culture in growbags would have a negative effect on growth compared to just growbags? (Because that's what i've done!)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 19:30:54 »
So would you say that using smaller pots (6-7") for ring culture in growbags would have a negative effect on growth compared to just growbags?

Well I have never ever done this myself but my guess is the top pot might become pot bound which could prevent water/food penetration to the feeding roots.

What could happen if this does occur that the potted part of the root system might draw up nutrients by capillary attraction yet remain relatively dry, but this is not guaranteed  :(

This might also create ideal conditions for 'blossom end rot' due to irregular watering!

Can I suggest you insert a yogurt pot or something similar into your pot now before it fills with roots as seen in the picture below.

If the worst comes to the worst you can remove this carton to leave a hole through the root system when the pot becomes 'pot bound' that you can fill with water/feeding that will get the moisture to where it is needed.

As I say I have never come across such an event but I think what I suggest might be useful insurance in the event of such a problem.

If the situation doesn't occur then thats fine!

I would like to hear at the end of the growing season as to how you got on,

Who knows you might have invented a new workablr technique! ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 22:47:57 »
8"-10" diameter with a similar height if possible.

Thank you Tee Gee.  Should I use 6"-8"pots for the peppers as they don't grow anywhere near as big as tomato plants?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:19 »
Thanks, TeeGee. I've already put lengths of pipe at the side of each pot, into the growbag, to direct the water to the bottom roots, because I thought that was where it was needed! But can put something in the pots as well.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:44:42 »
Should I use 6"-8"pots for the peppers as they don't grow anywhere near as big as tomato plants?

In height I agree but the roots can get as big depending upon variety.

I grow some chillis in pots of that size but I grow sweet peppers in bigger pots as seen in the picture above. As I recall these rings (drainage pipe offcuts) are 9" in diameter.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 23:58:02 »
Thanks Tee Gee.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal