Author Topic: Alchemilla mollis  (Read 2785 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Alchemilla mollis
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:10 »
I love this plant. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to grow from seed, please?

carosanto

• Half Acre
Re: Alchemilla mollis
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:13:19 »
Achemilla mollis (Our Lady's Mantle) is dead easy to grow - once you've got it!  By that I mean that a mature plant will self sow promiscuously all over your garden - also it is easy to divide..  The trick is getting a plant in the first place.  I have never sown seeds, but bought one small plant 20 years ago.

My mother is absolutely unable to grow this plant from seed, which I have given her several times from my own plants.  Yet I have a beautiful mature plant growing in gravel which self seeded from one in a pot which I brought with me when I moved here.  And the one in the pot was a self sown from my old garden!

So, if you do sow from seed - just sow a very few plants say 3 - 6 and pass on your leftovers.  Because once you have successfully grown a Lady's Mantle, this wonderful plant will be with you forever!

Alternatively, why not buy a small plant from the garden centre, 1 plant = several next year.  Oh and once the plant has flowered do remember to cut it right down if you DON'T want seedlings everywhere.  Hope all is clear, good luck.  Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 13:08:34 »
Thanks, Caro. I did get a small plant a couple of years ago but it has not grown much or self-seeded. :( Think I'll look out for a bigger one!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 17:59:04 »
Mine self-sows a lot, but I don't know how fresh the seed has to be to germinate. That can be a problem with some plants.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:13:19 »
I have two now, but the first one I bought failed as did the second one. Mine seem to fare better in a semi shaded spot. Though I have seen them thrive happily in very sunny spots......I guess they are the self sown ones though.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:01:53 »
I'm like Caro. If I blink for a moment the garden's full of them. Not that I mind. They are very pretty!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:28:27 »
Hi Caroline. If you want a plant, dont buy one I will send you one of mine. I have loads. PM me your addy. I did have it once but I don't keep them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:30:11 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 11:57:51 »
We moved last autumn leaving a garden full of self seeded lady's mantle.  Got none in the new garden so sowed a tray full of bought seed and not a single one came up.  Double checked my agapanthuses the other day (pot growing) and found three little plants growing from last garden's seeds.  I've now potted them up and will plant out to spread freely when they're big enough.  I'd take up Shirl's offer if I were you, Caroline.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58:49 »
I have done- thanks! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal