Author Topic: Yellowing leaves on my courgettes?  (Read 6570 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Yellowing leaves on my courgettes?
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:17:59 »
y courgettes are still in pots in the greenhouse as I want to make sure we have no more frost before planting out. the bottom two leaves on all of them have gne very yellow. should I remove them or leave well alone??

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Yellowing leaves on my courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:32 »
Hi Im no expert but I have grown courgettes for a couple of years & I would leave well alone as it is probably just the seed leaves (the first ones) & not true leaves that are dying back. Are there signs of new green leaves still growing?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:10:20 »
I have been growing courgettes for many years and have never taken off the lower leaves when outside, I have when they are on the window sill becuase they can make a bit of a mess.  Yellow varieties sometime have yellow patches on the leaves so I would only take them off if they are really dry..

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:15:41 »
Yellow leaves can be a sign that the plants are getting hungry.
If the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot, then the plant will be soon get pot-bound and again be starved of food.
If you can't plant out, then pot up into a bigger pot or apply some feed - but don't let it get pot-bound as they seldon recover very well.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 18:27:17 »
Thanks for your replies. I think I will plant them out and give them a feed. I won't remove the leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal