Author Topic: Weed killers, really confused!!  (Read 25590 times)

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
Re: Weed killers, really confused!!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 10:13:39 »
Does vinegar  it kill the roots????

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:41 »
I dealt with bindweed using roundup it was very effective before planting raspberries.  Having been organic for 25 years it was against my principles but I knew that it would be pointless planting them otherwise since it would be impossible to dig out.  I do not see the point of poisoning anything else sincemost other things can be removed or just constantly hoed.

I just wished I had poisoned it the first time it arrived.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22:41 »
Yes - so it's pointless using Sarsons?
Not pointless but not effective on such a wide range of weeds. Mixing 5% with a natural soap product would help it adhere better improving performance.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0613592720186.html

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 10:32:39 »
So are we saying that vinegar and detergent is effective as a weedkiller.  Is it any use between raspberries does it effect the woody parts. 

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 10:42:52 »
Soap not detergent, soap is a natural product detergent is petroleum based.
Yes it should work between raspberries, no it shouldn't affect woody growth but avoid getting it on raspberry leaves.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:57 »
Interesting article about Roundup. Does it not strike you as strange that Monsanto made Roundup and at the same time, genetically modified crops resistant to it? spot the error...

Weeding is as much a part of gardening as planting.  And i have bindweed and other rather obnoxious things. I just don't think that I really want to spray chemicals on the food I then feed to my kids, there's enough of that in everything already. Dig them out or cover them.
end of moan...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 21:45:33 »
i seem to remember there used to be a weedkiller that's recommeded for use between brown bark plants and shrubs {i.e. Raspberry/gooseberry canes and round the base of apple trees etc}

But I can't find it again! Can anyone help?
Pms gratefully received as well as comment on this list.

Camo
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 23:52:20 »
+If the weedkiller you bought says for non cropped land it will have content that is persistent in the soil so no good for growing things. Suggest you return it and ask for advice on a Glysophate based weedkiller. Roundup is the trade name Monsanto use for Glysophate. Nothing else will do the same job. Treat the weeds, after 7 days do whatever you want with them, pull em up, dig em in, then plant. Thats what the farmers do.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:27 »
Thats what the farmers do.

please don't insult all of the Organic Farmers in the world by suggesting that all farmers are addicted to Monsanto!!
http://milledrive.com/videos/29660/Food

and PLEASE watch all of this documentary, then see if you feel comfortable feeding your family with food from land that YOU have POISONED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE

worried about cancer??
http://www.japanesepopsongs.com/idiotcycle/monsanto_company.html

You couldn't make it up!

amphibian

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 08:02:30 »
Farmers have been using glycophosate for years..

The over use of Glyphos is a travesty, much like the over use of antibiotics, Glyphos is one of the most effective and least harmful weed killers we have ever developed, if we must use weed killers then we should never use them willy nilly merely to save a little labour. Already resistance is building in the wild and so farmers are now turning to seriously nasty weed killers once again.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 08:21:13 »
i seem to remember there used to be a weedkiller that's recommeded for use between brown bark plants and shrubs {i.e. Raspberry/gooseberry canes and round the base of apple trees etc}

Camo

Camo

I hope you get a reply to this.  I am looking for the same thing for my gooseberry bushes.
Camo

camo_lady

• Quarter Acre
  • Whitwick/Thringstone, Leics
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 10:34:13 »
i'm certain I didn't post that Query about weedkiller 3 times!
Especially at precisely identical moments to the second.

Camo
Kill nothing, save it be helpful in death, or harmful in life! (Scartanore)

amphibian

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:10 »
Thats what the farmers do.

please don't insult all of the Organic Farmers in the world by suggesting that all farmers are addicted to Monsanto!!
http://milledrive.com/videos/29660/Food

and PLEASE watch all of this documentary, then see if you feel comfortable feeding your family with food from land that YOU have POISONED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE

worried about cancer??
http://www.japanesepopsongs.com/idiotcycle/monsanto_company.html

I don't know how anyone could take on even 1% of that information and still buy anything made by Monsanto, or feel they can trust any claim made by the chemical industry. Let alone feel safe enough to spray these products on their food crops while merrily sipping their glass of wine, like the spraying of the crops is part of their lifestyle choice. Crazy stuff.

...and if I come across as controversial I really just don't care, people need to wake up to this stuff.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 17:10:18 »
I think you should do a search on the toxicity of Diquat before you start splashing that around.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 21:19:52 »
WOW, i didnt expect such a responce!!  Thanks every1 4 helping me out.  It has made sopme very interesting reading.

+If the weedkiller you bought says for non cropped land it will have content that is persistent in the soil so no good for growing things. Suggest you return it and ask for advice on a Glysophate based weedkiller. Roundup is the trade name Monsanto use for Glysophate. Nothing else will do the same job. Treat the weeds, after 7 days do whatever you want with them, pull em up, dig em in, then plant. Thats what the farmers do.

On hte back of the packet it didnt say when to dig up the weeds, so i looked on westlands site & it said 7 days. if the farmers do the same then it cnt be wrong can it?? 

This is my 3rd year on my plot & it is the 1st time that i have thought about using weedkiller.  The part that im using it on is like a jungle, it has docs, brambles, nettles, long grass.  I just cnt get through it & keep an eye on the grusome twosome!!  Im really quite gutted that i have to do it this way.
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

amphibian

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 22:55:41 »
On hte back of the packet it didnt say when to dig up the weeds, so i looked on westlands site & it said 7 days. if the farmers do the same then it cnt be wrong can it??  

Farming is broken, what farmers do they do to eek out a living and meet teh insane demands of tehir suppliers and customers. I would not use what farmers do as a model for good practice, because it isn't. Most farmers know what they do is wrong and many would do it differently if they felt they could.

This is my 3rd year on my plot & it is the 1st time that i have thought about using weedkiller.  The part that im using it on is like a jungle, it has docs, brambles, nettles, long grass.  I just cnt get through it & keep an eye on the grusome twosome!!  Im really quite gutted that i have to do it this way.

I'd seriously have to think about why you are growing, if it is for the kids I presume it's because you want to produce healthier food for them, in which case following the methods of the commercial farmer is pointless, once you've paid for seeds and chemicals you are unlikely to save much money either and may as well just buy from the shops. How about covering some of the ground and working on it a bit at a time. Or maybe cover with cardboard and mulch heavily, growing in the mulch.

My old plot got weedkiller sprayed, not by me, but by a newbie who got her plot numbering wrong and sprayed my plot in error, the bit she sprayed was not more weed free than my other bit, it just grew a different set of weeds
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 22:59:51 by amphibian »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 23:27:25 »
It might have already been said but consider this.. cover all the plot in black plastic, with the intention of leaving it there at least until next season, this will kill off a lot of the weeds without chemical help. You can plant through the plastic with many veggies while the plastic is doing it's thing. You may not get a wonderful harvest this year but in the long run you will have a better plot. Bear in mind that the farmers hardly ever have a weed, think about fields of crops, they all seem to be weed free, so spraying for them is not the same as starting with the jungle you seem to have.

I can sense your frustration and truly do feel for you but spraying is not as miraculous as it might seem, if it rains shortly after it probably won't work and the weeds do come back but if you could get your plot relatively weed free you would have a good start on next year. You could then roll back a few feet of plastic, dig that, dig out any leftover roots and move on. With a plot as weedy as yours it is like trying to turn the tide.

I totally agree you can't follow the farmers and I am in no way putting them down, they have to do what they need to do but you have other choices.

Consider covering it,this time next year you may have a good plot. There are lots of folk  here who can help you regarding planting through plastic. Mant folks have had to do just that.

I try to stay non judgemental but have to honestly say I  no longer trust Mansanto.

Good luck

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2010, 04:24:01 »
I agree with the previous two posters. Strim/cut it back then cover it with cardboard or black plastic. If you can't cut it back cover it anyway. A couple of months on the weeds will have died back. The longer you leave it the clearer the ground will be. Keep an eye on it though because some of the "fiercer" weeds will try to go through or under your covering so will need to be cut back/ dug out if and when they do.

You can, if you wish,  plant through whatever you put down, as Jeannine suggests.

I certainly wouldn't be happy using weedkillers near young children. Monsanto (Roundup) have lied about their products for years so why would you trust them now?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal