Author Topic: What to plant with a clematis  (Read 6285 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
What to plant with a clematis
« on: May 25, 2010, 15:41:02 »
Hi

I'm going to replant a clematis that I've had for years - basically it was a cheap bargain basement plant that has beautiful red/maroon/purpleish flowers. It's been living in a temporary pot for about 5 years  ::) and we've finally got round to re-sorting the garden out. It's going to be planted up against a trellis, but I'm struggling to think of a nice plant to grow with it - particularly what colour. I'm thinking of a climbing rose, but was wondering if you peeps have any particular ideas or suggestions  :)

Here's a picture (sorry it's not a great pic it's the only one I have)

Thanks

[attachment=1]

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: What to plant with a clematis
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 15:58:32 »
If roses are your preference, go for a repeat flowering perfumed rose in a pale pink or white for a subtle contrast or bright amber, such as Teasing Georgia for a bolder statement.

Another possibility would be a contrasting clematis in the same pruning group as their stems are impossible to separate once planted together.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 16:03:13 »
I hadn't thought of another clematis! Will have to explore that one.
White would be good as its towards the end of the garden, so it would highlight that area, but the amber coloured one sounds wonderfully dramatic
Thanks - I'll have a look at those varieties

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 16:20:49 »
A couple of years ago I went to Chelsea and the display from one of the clematis nurseries was all pairs of clematis grown together, they were lovely.  OH took some photos but only on his phone which he has since replaced so I can't tell you which pairs they were, I wish I knew as I had intended to do it myself, I am glad you have reminded me!!   :)

T.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 16:33:26 »
I was going to suggest another Clematis.

I must have at least eight varieties on my 14ft long trellis and they tend to come at different times and some flower twice.

Once they start  I generally have flowers for about three-four months!

Here are a few of them;

July;

August;

September;

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 17:01:27 »
wow!  off to buy more clematis'
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 18:28:55 »
Thanks all

And gosh those are beautiful TeeGee  :) given me plenty of ideas, unfortunately this trellis will be on a smaller scale - maybe about 4ft wide. But heck I'm sure I can cram a load in there !!

I'll have a look for some contrasting colours..........  :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 13:19:38 »
Hi 1066,

If you have Sky, on the red button today Chris Beardshaw visits the stand at Chelsea with the clematis duets planted, there is quite a good show that might help with your ideas.

T.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 15:57:40 »
Forgot about this one which is in flower now!

It is a clematis montana that I put up to make my neighbours hedge from hell a bit nicer to look at.

Trouble is I have to look out the upstairs window to appreciate it :(

View looking up between the garages;

Looking from my side of the hedge;

From the upstairs window;

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:41:53 »
Oh my that is some Clematis TeeGee - having a small garden I had already discounted a montana, but they are spectacular !!

And Tulipa, thank you, I don't have sky (or a telly  ::) ) but I've been watching bits online (I love Chelsea  :) ) so I'll have a look and see if there is anything on the t'interweb  ;)

Thanks again, it's lovely to finally get round to choosing some new plants for the garden  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 19:23:27 »
the pics are all so gorgeous, I love clematis!

All the montana out in the gardens round here, even small gardens - it looks beautiful. How nice when something beautiful is so easy to grow!

(I know some people say it takes over - but I say - let it!  ;))

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 14:45:36 »
I think Montanas look particularly fab when grown up through trees  :)
I was sitting on the steps looking at the garden yesterday and wondering about planting a montana right at the back so it would clamber (cover) a neighbours shed......... :-\ but decided to stick to my original plan of a climbing hydrangea (if my memory is on track!!)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 15:38:09 »
This thread is making me behave badly!! :-[  I have now planted some since first seeing this thread and looking for links connected with it!  And we have just built a new shed which we have painted a very dark green to show off a montana as i think the pretty small flowered pink one would look really good against it!  I love clems.  I have found it hard to find the later flowering group 3 plants but managed to search through and find two that I could plant together, I am having fun! :) ;)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 16:00:36 »
I also have a new trellis in the garden that needs covering and was thinking about clematis or a passion flower.

Tee Gee I noticed you have those really good photos covering different months but what are they called .....and dont anyone tell me that they are called clematis :P

Duke
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 16:05:29 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 16:15:26 »
what are they called

Sorry Duke I can't remember I have had most of them for so long the labels have disintegrated.

To be quite honest names do not matter a lot to me.

I tend to buy plants when they are in flower and if I like the flower I buy it for that reason not its name!

Here are some more pics; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Clematis/Clematis/clematis.html

ps I bought a couple of white/Cream varieties by way of a change to my pinks & purples at Harrogate spring show this year.

I am looking forward to them flowering, so no doubt I'll publish the pics once they are in flower.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 16:19:04 by Tee Gee »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 16:39:23 »
I have one clematis in a large pot growing up the wall, first flower out, will take a photo and another pot next to it with honeysuckle in and they seem to intertwine.  Not sure which is growing where but do go up the wall and into the gutter.  >:( >:( >:(  Not as experienced as many people on here, but you did ask for ideas.  ;D ;D  The other plant I have put in a pot next to clematis is jasmine.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 23:26:43 »
I grow blueish clematis and mauve wisteria up a Eucalyptus gunnii, it makes it look as if the tree has burst into flower.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 00:16:51 by jennym »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 23:47:30 »
My mum's Montana,looks so nice

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 23:51:55 »
Nelly Moser

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 07:43:36 »
Tulipa -  :o  :o  :o . not really! The question is what did you get!!!

but you did ask for ideas.  ;D ;D 

Too right I did  ;D  ;D  ;D And you have reminded me to get another Jasmine (one of my favourite scents) for another part of the garden  :)

jennym - that sounds stunning, I have another clematis which is a small mauve flower, and it is beautiful

Betula - I'm loving Nelly Moser  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal