Author Topic: What to plant with Cannas  (Read 2842 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
What to plant with Cannas
« on: May 25, 2010, 15:35:57 »
Hi
Been busy working on the garden and have moved some of the red leaved cannas into a new bed. And I need some bright ideas as to what to plant with them. So far I've thought of alchemilla mollis and very dark blue lobelia.

Any bright ideas  :)

Thanks

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: What to plant with Cannas
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 16:58:28 »
Alstromeria Apollo?
the tall lobelias with the lighter green leaves ( not Victoria ),
Veronicastrum, Hebe, peonie ( just thinking of everything that was crammed around the space in my hot bed that used to have a canna in it)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 18:25:55 »
( just thinking of everything that was crammed around the space in my hot bed that used to have a canna in it)

;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks froglets, those are great ideas, I particularly like the idea of the Veronicastrum, one of the deep puprle ones or the paler white / creamy ones would break things up a bit and also give some contrast to the leaf shape of the cannas  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 18:49:31 »
just had an idea of my own  :o  :o  :o

It's my birthday soon, and I might suggest for my b day treat we go to Great Dixter, and take a look at the Long Border. All those lovely "tropicals" Christopher Lloyd planted are bound to give me some extra ideas  :) It's been a couple of years since we were last there and I've also just remembered the kitchen / walled garden is stunning and the shop, well, last time we were there we came away with a few things.......  ;D

http://www.greatdixter.co.uk/index.htm

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:41 »
Good Plan 1066!  Would love to get to Great Dixter & so glad it's continuing on as I thought I'd missed my chance when Christopher died.  Still, I't a bit of a trek from 't North
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 14:42:46 »
Yes that would be a bit of a treck for you!! It's a lovely garden (s) and I've been a few times, and every time you see something new or learn something new  :) I haven't been since his death but am told things are looking great  :)

I'll have to try and remember to take my camera this time (usually manage to forget!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal