Author Topic: How are your beans doing ?  (Read 13236 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: How are your beans doing ?
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 22:20:40 »
Code: [Select]
The only time I've ever had real problems was what I grew Cosso Violetto, which doesn't seem to have any aphid resistance at all. I wouldn't bother again.
 ::)..and those are fool hardy variety for me.. ::) ;D,,I grow them every year without problems....funny that...any french bean does well for me but runners are always a bit hit and miss with me..I think it is to do with watering..I'm not too keen 'to splash about'.. ;D..most boring job...

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2010, 22:08:07 »
Shall have our first taste of broad beams any day now.

valmarg

Times are hard, eh?    ;D

G x

Well, my plea in mitigation is that I spent a lot of time as a shorthand trypist/ ;D ;D

valmaeg

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 10:08:53 »
ValMarg,
How are the broad beams doing?
Mine are still in flower and at the moment have no sign of the dreaded black fly on them.
The runners are not doing so well  :( They have been hit by the frost and will not come through the soil quick enough for me to eat. Looks as though it will be a late season for these this time round.
I shall try to get it right next year by sowing in pot trainers to see how they do!

Got them back now to put some tread on them

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:52 »
My French beans are in flower so hopefully we will be eating some very soon. om nom nom
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2010, 12:19:18 »
I was about to take off the top of a broad bean plant with blackfly when I saw three ladybirds hard at work, so left them to it.....Have eaten pods off those autumn sown ones that survived the winter.

Gigandes are flowering, and have run out of pole, so I am training them downwards to go up again.

French beans are starting to climb, as are runners. Nothing to eat yet. Am trying them on one of these:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=9d947827438fc9bfa68cf11339f4d0de&topic=2100.15

I made it last year, but my beans failed, so I hope it will work this year.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2010, 19:33:54 »
my dwarf ones have beans on  ;D
just about to sow a follow on crop, these are in leaf bags  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2010, 21:20:26 »
We ate a couple purple violetti runner beans and a couple Massai beans today- the few Massai's the groundhog didn't get.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2010, 23:21:59 »
Flowers just starting to show on my runners..........exciting  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2010, 23:40:07 »
I am very pleased that the first of my runners have now reached the top of the 8ft canes but they have only just started to flower.  Looked at one of the flowers to see if the beans had set and managed to knock it off.  My second batch are about a foot up the canes and also just starting to flower.  My third batch got caught by the dreaded Aminopyralid and had to be moved and a few of them are still sulking. 

Broad beans are starting to crop well two good portions so far.   

Climbing bean Mrs Lewis half way up the cane and now getting some of those lovely purple flowers.  I hope the beans will follow quickly behind.  Have not grown many dwarf this year, I just found it did not eat them last year.  I could not be bothered to bend down and search for the beans when the climbing ones were good enough to produce them at a reasonable picking height.  I usually produce some really early ones under cloches but forgot to put them in.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2010, 22:49:40 »
Broadies starting to do well now

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2010, 06:58:12 »
Dwarf Kid Beans (Canadian Wonder) all three rows in full flower,
Runner Beans (Scarlet Emp) near at the top of the sticks plenty of flowers coming.
Broad Beans (Bunyards Exh) Four rows which I have started to crop this past 3 weeks, no blackfly and not very heavy yield in fact the poorest harvest I have ever had - I think its because we haven't had real rain here for nearly 3 months, just a couple of light showers

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2010, 07:23:32 »
Ooo those broadies look good Betula!

My Broadies have been chopped down - they got a 2nd attack of blackfly and never made recovered - we had one meal from them!  :'(
On the upside the 1st French Beans to start producing are the Purple Tepee  :)

1066  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2010, 08:13:20 »
our purple podded and cosse violette (not sure if they're the same? ) are flowering, barlotti and haricot are still climbing the poles, although quite slowly, can't water, hosepipe ban and too much for watering cans, just hope all the stuff Ray put in the trenches is keeping them moist until we get some rain  :-\

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:51 »
Managed to get a few meals out of Witkiem and Imperial Green Longpod (as babies) but Claudia Aquadulce, despite shrugging off the black-fly best at first (Witkiem drew them in I think) was swamped when the beans were mature and waiting to be eaten - sucked the life out of pods and left squishy and dripping.  Finished them last week.

Anyway - this year's early French dwarves perished under cover, which is such a shame because it fills a gap before the tall ones and I am so sick of peas.  Feels like have only had one night off in weeks.  Funny, I could eat French or runner beans twice a day every day all summer and often do!  but with peas I reach a tolerance level - too sweet maybe.  The Purple podded are a relief as they taste starchy, mealy - bit like broad beans actually.

Dwarf second sowings -
small bagful of Borlotti as a slicing bean yesterday
Purple Queen seems extremely slow as a first early in comparison, only flowering
HSL ones; Ice/Crystal Wax first small signs of beaning up, but have to save for seed.  Gauk flowering, again saving for seeds.

Tall ones:
First few Cosse Violette eaten last night.  Waggling high above my canes and dripping with flowers - it's a real trooper.
Meraviglia di venezia - one third up it's canes, sharing with my Caigua Achocha which is beginning to fruit.  Should be an interesting fight  :D
Kew Blue and Major Cook's settled in well now but not climbing yet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:50:39 by earlypea »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 08:47:52 »
My broadies have all finished. Planted last November. Must remember to successional sow them for next year.

Runners are well in flower, but no beans setting yet (at least they look nice!)

Dwarf french beans are in bud. (very exciting as I've never grown them before!) Second sowing have just been planted out. 3rd lot didn't germinate very well, but some plants doing ok.
gone to pot :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:08 »
forgot about the dwarf frenchies, had 2 meals so far but growing them in leaf bags so need loads of water, what a difference a drought makes  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:35 »
My runners are only about a third of the way up the poles, have little foliage but plenty of flowers.  Hunter beans are the same.

The Blue Lake climbing French beans have hardly started climbing, yet I have one or two beans on each plant.

Broad beans are ready for picking and looks as though it will be a good crop.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:13 »
Todays update is that I've picked a handful of each of (dwarf) Purple Tepee, Aquilon and Cupidon  ;D  Enough for a meal for 2   ;D  ;D ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 13:42:25 »
Have finished the broadies for eating, some overwintered and Grano Violette spring planted. Grew the Grano Violette as I thought they were purple flowered - wrong, mine were white flowered, so checked around its the beans that are purple when dry! Nevertheless they are a lovely bean, much preferred them to the Aquadulces, well filled even pods, tender, nice flavour will definitely grow again. Am also growing some crimson flowered from HSL just for seed, was away last week and came back to find them suffering badly in the heat and they are rather small and pathetic - but will hope to get some seed which hopefully can improve on next year.
Runner beans top of the poles, first beans set - very low down. have forgotten what all my climbing frenchies were and have lost labels - but they are all quite tall and one or two about to flower.
Will be eating our first dwarf frenchies - cupidon - by the weekend. I love that bean! Have actually made a second sowing which are now through and I'll just grow for seed.
All in all beans seem to be holding up well on my plot ...unlike other things ...like..spuds.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2010, 16:10:11 »
 ;)

just started picking runner beans 
i don't belive death is the end

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal