Author Topic: Rocket recipes?  (Read 1925 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Rocket recipes?
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:30:41 »
I have a huge clump of wild rocket, some of which is starting to go to seed. Has anyone got any good recipes (other than ones which come up under search on here as I've already looked there!)?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Rocket recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56:54 »
Well as it's a member of the mustard-cabbage family, why not try Indian recipes for mustard greens try searching for that or 'sarson ka saag.'

And I also find that strong tasting or slightly tough leaves usually do well in this mooli ki sabzi recipe (radish leaf veg dish)

- finely chop approx a cup of leaves (can salt them and leave to stand for 10 mins, then squeeze and rinse and drain)
- grind together 1 tsp coriander seeds and some chilli to taste. add these to the leaves and mix in.
- heat a tablespoon or 2 of oil and splutter 1tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- add a chopped tomato/a couple of dessert spoons of tinned tomato
- add a tablespoon of crushed peanuts/peanut butter
- add the leaves and fry till soft and dry. Add a little water if necessary.

Hope that's of some use?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:48:37 »
If you look at http://allrecipes.com.au/  you should find a site that let's you search for recipes by ingredient.  It lists loads of rocket recipes including salads, sauces for pasta and probably pesto and soups too.

It's a great site for other garden veggies too.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 18:11:25 »
I was thinking about pesto as well  :) Haven't got a recipe but I guess a standard basil one would do
It can also be worked into stirfrys

Loving the recipe Pigeonseed  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 19:34:45 »
Thanks for the ideas.  :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 17:35:05 »
pesto, rocket salad, rocket pizza, spinach/chard/anything green and leafy with rocket and ricotta works well with pasta/lasagna or in quiche or omlette.

I like to cook some red onion in olive oil with garlic, then add a few sun blushed tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes and maybe some chopped peppers then add the rocket with some fresh basil and lightly wilt, Mix with either grated parmesan or chopped mozerella or goats cheese and serve with crusty bread or mixed with pasta. It's nice also with a few chopped sausages added with the onions (I use veggie sausages as I'm a vegetarian!)
gone to pot :D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 17:38:12 »
that's got me thinking about using it in stuffed pancakes - YUM  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal