Author Topic: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?  (Read 20030 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2010, 16:58:08 »
Drought starting to kick in again.  Apart from one night of very light drizzle we have had no rain since 7th June and that was the only real rain since Easter.  The other couple of showers were in the better than nothing category.

I have lots I want to do on the allotment but keep having to spend a lot of time watering things.  I have a lot of brassicas that need moving and I usually like to do that in the rain.  It is very difficult keeping them alive once they have been moved.

I have managed to source a lot of grass clippings so everything is being mulched.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2010, 17:02:41 »
I thought this thread might be back- my water butts are just about empty again and it's very hot today. Should have got more mulch down before it dried out again. :(

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2010, 17:03:46 »
yep and no taps on our site   :o
i don't belive death is the end

amphibian

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2010, 19:19:59 »
My soil is bone dry, I actually watered some plants today other than lettuce and tomatoes, something I normally avoid doing.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2010, 19:30:02 »
I started to dig a new bed, and when the hoe hit the earth, it made a ringing sound - I thought uh-oh, sounds like there's concrete under there! I scraped a load of soil back, looking for it - nope. It was just the soil!  ::) ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2010, 19:34:27 »
Drought here in Delaware. Didn't know we shared the same weather 8)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2010, 20:14:33 »
I thought this thread might be back- my water butts are just about empty again and it's very hot today. Should have got more mulch down before it dried out again. :(
Mine's empty on the lottie and I had to borrow a canful from a friend to water my blueberries  :(
sanity is overated

craftsmaster

• Not So New ...
    • Herb Gardening Guide
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:16 »
D'Day All,

Thanks for welcoming me Digeroo. Bad experiences aren't bad at all. I discovered that Echinace plant can survive droughts and very hot summers. It begins to bloom in the spring and continues to spread throughout the summer and lasts into the fall months.

Happy gardening to everyone!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:07:30 by Jayb »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2010, 18:45:51 »
Everytime there is rain in the forecast it somehow dodges us.  It was supposed to rain last night and not a single drop.  It is supposed to rain tonight and I have just seen the latest forecast and yet again it looks as if we are going to be a miss.

Somehow the rain belts come up through cornwall and devon and then head north and west but by the time they cross the M5 there is only a few spits and spots left and but the time it gets here there is nothing as all.

Another hot and humid day.  French beans and courgettes looking good but runners looking very sad. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2010, 20:20:48 »
On my local weather map they predicted Tues/Weds rain, they've changed it to Thur/Fri now.  :-\ :-\ :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2010, 22:13:16 »
Manchester area living upto it's name not stopped raining since last Wednesday morning when I did a rain dance on the plot "" Oh be carefull what you wish for" my little plot is more than watered it's blinking flooded.Wish the hosepipe was lifted could have connected you all up to Manchester x

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:23 »
Finally got a good shower this morning but now the sun is out again! Still I think it was at least as much as if I had watered with the can! And all the plants got some, not just the lucky ones! The pumpkins will appreciate it.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 11:08:56 »
more like 'suffering from floods' here!
 >:(

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:25 »
Wish the hosepipe was lifted could have connected you all up to Manchester
 Unfortunately our hosepipe is not quite long enough.  

Just a few drops last night.   The met office got it wrong again.  Gorgeous morning though.  Plants seem to like a little sprinkling of water on the leaves.

Seems bizarre that we have the drought and you have the hosepipe ban.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 12:50:11 »
Not enough rain on the lottie but walked into the back kitchen this morning to find water pouring through the ceiling.  Turned off at stopcock and opened all the taps but its getting worse.  Must be from bathroom rather than loft as there is no water in bathroom whatsoever now.  After turning stopcock off it reduced slightly but now is pouring through again.  Can't understand where it is coming form.  Its been pouring through for a good few hours now.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2010, 17:10:46 »
Don't talk to me about no rain! I got back from the plot today and was so wet my trousers felt like they weighed about 7 stone!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2010, 18:09:17 »
Bloody sweltering today,  8) Sunny all day with a few clouds for cover, its got to be nearly 80 degrees, we'll see if the rain comes tomorrow, I doubt it.    :-\      ;D ;D ;D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2010, 18:36:25 »
Bloody sweltering today,  8) Sunny all day with a few clouds for cover, its got to be nearly 80 degrees, we'll see if the rain comes tomorrow, I doubt it.    :-\      ;D ;D ;D

I hate you!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2010, 18:46:42 »
Sawfish there's a queue and I'm afraid your have to join it.    ;)       ;D ;D ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2010, 18:54:30 »
Its been pouring through for a good few hours now

What about the central heating system.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal