Author Topic: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?  (Read 19788 times)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
Re: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 21:07:22 »
Thank god 4 that rain yesterday!!  I finally managed to dig over & weed some of my beds 2day & i got my cabbages out of the nursery bed & in2 the ground!!! The poor buggers looked rather limp an  hour later tho!!  Please send more rain (but not to much!)!!!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2010, 22:05:08 »
To all you drought stricken lotties,

A few years ago I bought some of those water retention crystals, they hold 100 times their size in water. I emptied all my pots at the end of the season on a part of my garden that needed a bit of fibre. The gel is still there after 2 years.
I was lucky enough the find end of season reductions at Hitchens store, I have used this in planting holes this year, but it is very expensive. I was talking to a seasoned gardener a few weeks ago and he said wallpaper paste works in a similar way and he uses it  instead of crystals. I am going to try this in a couple of pots to see if it works. After all it is only starch and if anyone out there knows if it is detrimental to plants I would love to hear from you. It is so cheap that it could be used on allotments. I live near Manchester and I too would like to see a good thunderstorm.

Regards Queenbee.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2010, 22:11:29 »
Just make sure your paste don't have any fungicide in it..some of those do have it against moulds....
Your plant will be truly glued to the spot... ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2010, 22:26:36 »
We've had a bit of rain over the weekend and are expecting lots more tomorrow (Hartlepool)- am thinking that Wednesday morning might be a good time to do some weeding!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2010, 10:58:24 »
Well that was more promised rain that did not happen just a heavy drizzle for a couple of hours, water butt still not full and soil only damp for about an inch.  I do not think that the griound underneath the logan berrues is even wet.  First time ever I will have to water them, they are covered in fruit and I dod not think they will swell.

No where near enough.  Just beeb playing the radar sequence and somehow it dvides right about us.  We are a little to the south of the middle of the triangle of the M4, M5  and M40

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 11:06:22 »
at last !!!! been raining quite heavy here all morning

xena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 12:38:40 »
Don't worry folks! Plenty of showers forecast next week with sunny spells too 8)

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2010, 12:42:51 »
...which can only mean one thing .............BLIGHT!!! :-\
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2010, 13:27:46 »
not here lol been chucking it down the last 3 days :) love it :)
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2010, 14:05:04 »
No drought anymore...we've got river flowing on street.. ::)gutters cant take the rain...oh...why it cannot come down steady...instead pouring down by the bucket..no..lorry load.. ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 13:32:13 »
Things are still very very dry here.  It poured yesterday for all of five minutes it was not even enough to come down from the roof into the water butt.  The moss soaked it all up.

We are getting very desparate.  It is as dry as a bone as far down as I can dig.   Watering is becoming a very tedious chore.  Rain due today so keeping every thing crossed.  There is a big blue patch coming our way on the Met Office Radar map but have a nasty idea it will fizzle out again before it gets here. 

Just going out to do a little rain dance.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 13:35:32 »
Despite heavy rain yesterday the ground was still dry this morning. Just had another downpour but it only lasted about 5 minutes.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 13:44:09 »
definately not anymore.. ;D..we had so much rain that manhole covers were popping up from the preasure... :o..all buckets are full and everything is truly sodden now...potatoes are just coming to flower.. ;)I'm going to get best ever crop out of them... ;D
..and there is more to come...I'll have to go and fill all watering cans to give waterbutts some more room.. ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 19:42:29 »
The ground looked slightly damp today, but no more than that.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 22:08:38 »
We are getting a good top up now... should bring the spuds and the blight on a treat....  :-X

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 23:06:29 »
There is at last a slow trickle going into the water butt.  I am just so worried that we will not have enough rain to really wet the ground. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:01 »
We are getting a good top up now... should bring the spuds and the blight on a treat....  :-X

ssshhhhhhhhhhhh  ;)

lots of lovely rain her on the coast - the ground is nice and damp  :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:12 »
We have finally had some real rain, light all night and then a bit stronger early this morning.  but I have found that about three inches down things are still totally dry.  I have finally managed to fill up the water butts at home but down at the allotment the rain will do nothing to keep the well running since it will all  be soaked up by the soil. 

It seemed rather sad to have to let the water run back into the pipe once the butts were full though I did managed to spread quite a few can loads around the garden.

craftsmaster

• Not So New ...
    • Herb Gardening Guide
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 16:23:27 »
You're not alone! Earth is huge to count those currently experiencing a drought. My personal experience should tell you that here in Brisbane, my herb garden seems like a dessert after a 3 consecutive days of rain.  Now, I'm trying to cultivate and dig some herbs.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 16:37:06 »
Welcome to the site Craftsmaster.  I guess that when we talk about drought we know nothing compared to you.  We have only had three showers since April but for much of the time it was damp below the surface, but suddenly with a bout of hot weather things dried up very quickly.  I think that the weeds sucked it dry. ;D

I have a lot of mulching going on and that keep things moist for longer.   

Being the UK now it has started raining it will probably forget to stop. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal