Author Topic: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?  (Read 19766 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2010, 12:12:51 »
We had the odd light shower overnight, but the Himalayan balsam on the railway embankment is still wilting.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:14:55 by Robert_Brenchley »

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 16:49:29 »
I was down to my last couple of gallons in a jerry can and a 2 litre milk carton or two but we had enough (West Wales) to fill a dustbin under the downpipe overnight. The empty bin is under the downpipe just in case  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2010, 18:55:15 »
Nothing at all yesterday things looking very dry again, tomorrow looks promising but rain coming in from the west and we are in some kind of rain shadow from that direction so I am not very hopeful.

Might see if hanging out some washing does the trick ;D ;D  Or planning a BBQ party.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 18:56:56 by Digeroo »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2010, 20:45:22 »
My raspberries are looking pitiful.

We did have a shower last night , but only a third of a barrel from the roof. So not much fell.

:(

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2010, 21:04:27 »
Have already emptied three water butts already over here in north west Leicestershire.   Had taken to only watering the edible crops so consequently all the hanging baskets etc were looking wilted.

Neighbour saw what was happening and promptly offered me access to her external tap and hosepipe (she's on water rates, I'm on a meter).   Not only has everything in the garden and the baskets perked up but neighbour has also fille all my water butts for me!!!!

I think I now owe her several bottles of wine and tithe from my produce by way of thanks!!!

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2010, 22:32:47 »
Over in South West Birmingham we have had one really wet day in the last seven weeks. The weather men kept predicting rain but it seemed to miss us or at most we got a millimeter or two. A very drying wind as well. Getting fed up with watering.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2010, 09:50:05 »
Hooray- proper rain this morning, and hopefully more on the way! Now i'm worrying about the bits of my plot covered in plastic- should I uncover them to let the rain in?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2010, 09:51:50 »
Proper rain in Staffs today.

Well it is Bank Holiday  ;D

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2010, 10:07:15 »
 :D It started to rain down here at about 4.00am this morning and it`s still raining "Horray" (10.06 am)

xena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2010, 15:26:55 »
Us gardeners must be the only ones this weekend glad its raining 8)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2010, 15:31:53 »
Plenty of rain at last the plants have perked up a lot since the rain came down. 8)
Only trouble is the weeds have too :'(

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2010, 15:51:29 »
He Heee! Its rainin' its pourin'....6hrs of the loooooverly stuff....can't wait to get down the plot tomorrow...no dust!....them there beans an' tatties will be in their element..... ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2010, 16:42:27 »
WOO HOO!!!!!!  I will b able 2 dig again, was putting some seedlings in yesterday i was tempted to get a pick axe the soil was so dry.  It has been raining on & off all day here in Birmingham.  Cnt wait 2 get bk down the garden now!
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2010, 16:53:42 »
It has been dripping off and on all day.  It has not filled the waterbutt, it has not gone down more than 4 inches.   The top of the soil is damp but down below is totally dry still.  There are completely dry patches under some plants.  Better than nothing but only just but  nowhere near enough.   Only a couple of ten minute patches of real rain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2010, 18:49:39 »
We had a few hours' light rain, maybe 1/4 inch or so altogether.

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2010, 19:44:29 »
Was suffering here in Leeds a bit - however it has rained all day here today and given the garden a right good soaking.  ;D

chris loves veg

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2010, 23:00:16 »
 Had a brill day got house cleaned and down stair's loo painted, but best of all got allotment watered. Rained most of day at Thirsk. ;D

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2010, 23:01:52 »
We've had rain here in far sout west - but harvested some new pots today, and the earth was still very very dry - the rain didn't penetrate too far down.

We could do with some more please, pretty please  :)

Alison

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:41 »
Welcome to the site, chris! Not far from me, and yes it was good to get some rain yesterday at last!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2010, 17:10:37 »
Welcome Chris.  Glad  you had some rain but it did not cut the mustard here.  I over estimated with four inches and now after a lovely day of sunshire and a brisk but warm wind the top has dried out again and I need to water my newly moved brassicas. 

Next rain opportunity early on Tuesday and that is due to move up from the south rather than west so we might get lucky.  Keeping mhy fingers crossed got lots to plant out but it is easier at the moment to water it in the pots.

Had to use a watering can of water to moisten the soil to do some digging this morning.  Patches are like concrete still.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal