Author Topic: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?  (Read 19592 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 09:08:03 »
Yesterday our local weather forecast said rain on Wednesday and heavy rain Thursday. Today it says Sunny Intervals right thru till Friday........no rain here then......off to water the plot.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 17:03:05 »
Got a few spots of rain this morning. Heavy rain forecast for Friday when I looked this morning but now it's changed to sunny intervals. ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 17:21:06 »
Been very dry here only a few showers since Easter.  They have not been enough to fill the water butts from the roof.  They keep forecasting showers but change it.  Our next window of opportunity is tomorrow evening but I will not hold my breathe.

I have some cabbage which are ready for planting out and need a good dose of rain.

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 13:05:07 »
I'm in the Wiltshire dustbowl with no water on site, and local farmers are all watering like mad.

How annoying is it that the weeds love it and flourish

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 14:50:29 »
We have had practically no rain for a while. We had a good downpour about a week ago but nothing since. But as I type there is a big rush of water pouring down from the sky! And it should keep up tomorrow too. My water barrels are completely dry..
This is a good time for it to rain, the potatoes and onions will be forming!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 18:19:15 »
I've just been digging, and the soil's as dry as a bone except where I've mulched it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 18:33:14 »
Looking at the radar the rain should be arriving in birmingham in the very near future.  Please leave some for me.

There is a big patch of rain to the east of newcastle now what use it that there is plenty of water there already?

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 20:23:00 »
My psb are looking dreadful. They've been growing fine for late summer / early autumn cropping, but this last week they've taken a nose-dive

We've watered them the same as the peas, and beans.  They just haven't coped as well.

I'm hoping the other, later psb  (rudolph) will do better.  Also if it rains maybe they'll be saved...

Alison

charlie888

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 21:35:28 »
hurrah!  We finally have rain for the first time in weeks in Leeds, it's properly pouring it down at last so my garden might resemble something other than a dust bowl come morning, you can almost see the plants breathing a sigh of relief!  Now all I've got to worry about is the likely onslaught of slugs!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:09 »
Its been dry here in S Wales for weeks , I went down the patch yesterday morning to pop my Runner Beans Plants in and while I was there watered my onions and shallots, What a waste of time that turned out to be,I went to my shed for a brew up, and with a half hour a big black cloud came over and it rained like stair rods for over a hour.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:52 »
After a couple of hours of drizzle we had a very hard shower and I was so pleased to find that the soil was wet all the way down.  I squashed loads of slugs and snails early this morning. 

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 16:20:44 »
We've finally had some welcome rain here in Hartlepool, but sadly several of my newly planted French marigolds have been chomped through the stem, I'm guessing by slugs/snails.  They didn't eat the foliage, just bit through the stem- what a waste!  I wouldn't have minded as much if they'd been hungry and needed to eat them!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 16:26:48 »
I've been able to count every drop that came down last night.... ::)..and didn't even need all of my fingers.... ::) Oh well..watering cans are out again...but roll on Saturday...there is 'flood' coming... ;D ;D..and about time too..all buts are empty and getting hose it just too early in the season...and bother too...I'll try to avoid if possible...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 17:37:20 »
It rained a tad last night, nothing to write home about though and it was a very fine spray today, my 5 year old summed it up when she said, Daddy Jesus was spitting today.       ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 17:38:46 »
Hasn't rained for weeks here but as I only have to scrape back about ¼" of soil to see moisture on my plot I haven't watered anything other than the plants in the greenhouses yet. My soil has been improved considerably over the years though.
Hasn't stopped my water going down though a combination of hosepipes & drill powered pumps has resulted in my 8 IBC's full of rainwater going down to just over 2 full & numerous neighbouring plots having full waterbutts despite the lack of rain & no mains water on site. Heavy rain due on Saturday & more on Monday night/Tuesday morning so shouldn't take long for them to fill up again.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 17:53:50 »
rained here last night too but even through the couple of weeks without rain an inch down and my soil is nice and damp still.
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 18:17:27 »
hurrah!  We finally have rain for the first time in weeks in Leeds, it's properly pouring it down at last so my garden might resemble something other than a dust bowl come morning, you can almost see the plants breathing a sigh of relief!  Now all I've got to worry about is the likely onslaught of slugs!

Didn't last long though, did it? ::)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 09:13:05 »
I've left a washing out all day while I'm at work, should do the trick!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:13 »
We had quite a shower Wed night but by the close of play yesterday the surface had well dried out.  Went out this morning to dig over an area in the garden for some more beans and found it was remarkably dry quite deep.   And yes there has been 25 years of compost dug into it.

But this morning Saturday has been upgraded from one spot to two on the Met office website.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2010, 10:08:51 »
I foolishly thought my nearly empty water butt would have been replenished by the recent rain but the level hardly seems to have risen at all  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal