Author Topic: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?  (Read 20038 times)

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
Re: Anyone else suffering from a drought ?
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2010, 18:59:24 »
you can have some of our rain my tatties have learnt how to swim!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2010, 20:19:28 »
An internet friend reporting floods in Wales, The Aussies wishing Headingley was not covered but here? Rain? what rain?. Oh OK it tried for  about 15 minutes late last night.

I want some rain please miss :'(

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2010, 21:56:59 »
Over here in South West Birmingham its more like Arizona. There's an amazing split in the weather. There is a line between Gloucester and Lichfield. Everything North of it is being drenched and everything South of it droughted. Its been like that for weeks. Must be something to do with the jet stream!?

firefightersbabe

• Not So New ...
  • A new, but enthusiastic learner!
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2010, 22:21:08 »
Dundee, Scotland:         Just back from a trip to the allotment - the rain has just poured down from the hillside just behind us, and has created a river, not even a stream, down the side of the communal shed, right down the path down the middle of the plots.  Some plots have some pretty large puddles on them - I guess we are lucky that our plot is on the higher side of the site, so we are relatively safe from flooding. 

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2010, 22:53:40 »
We got a got drenching here yesterday.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2010, 17:16:21 »
We had a  shower this pm - at last! Thunder storm really heavy for all of 10 minutes. Sooooo dry here, and hot. Keep trying to sow things but cannot go to plot every day so they keep drying out. And too hot for lettuce etc to germinate. But some things are doing fine so mustn't complain  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2010, 17:21:34 »
It has finally rained in West Deeping ;D First a 20 minute shower and later a torrential thunderstorm.

Cleo is not daft-I put the covers over my cold frames this morning. Had I not all my seed trays with the late crop potential would have been washed out

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2010, 17:36:40 »
We had a great downpour this morning it was very welcome and has been dripping on and off since.  I sowed some pre sprouted carrots seeds yesterday to the rain is particuarly good.  It arrived just after I spent a consierable amount of time watering.  Filled up the water butts.

I have been germinating things (lettuce,beetroot and carrots)on kitchen roll on a north facing windowsill so they get started well before I throw them outside. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2010, 18:11:57 »
A few light showers, but Sunny spells the rest of the day, Thundering in the distance as I type.  :-\    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chilli queen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2010, 18:22:55 »
Heavy rain here in Liverpool for almost a week.  OH went to the lottie yesteday and stepped into mud up to his knees ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2010, 19:42:28 »
Hopelessly dry here in East Sussex. All promised rain passes us by. Lifted my onions today - teeny tiny things. You can't water a whole onion bed out of milk bottles (no water on site). I'm watering young peas and beans, and I've achieved a few blueberries, but basically it is rather disappointing on that site (I have HUGE potatoes and lots of them on another site where we have dip tanks, and I set up a syphon with a long hose pipe every time I visit).

amphibian

« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2010, 20:43:59 »
Little rain today, nowt to write home about. I'm not bothered really, just keeps the diseases away.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2010, 17:12:59 »
There is a line between Gloucester and Lichfield

I blame the M5 myself.  ;D  The rain just does not seem to be prepared to come across it.

Rain forecast on BBC this morming, was it 10 spots or 11.  No more at the moment on rhe radar.  

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2010, 17:19:22 »
Rain was forcast here, we had about 4 showers that bearly wet the surface.   :'( :'( :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2010, 17:36:39 »
We had showers too, mostly heavy drizzle, not enough to damp the top inch. We do need rain here, badly.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2010, 18:09:14 »
At last we had some rain. Rained really hard but only for about 30 minutes, first heavy rain for a month. Need more badly but not for next 2 days as the new fences are being erected (I hope!")

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:12 »
We have had no real rain or good steady rain for the past couple of months now.
All the water butts are dry and plants have shown signs of drought all round the garden.
Cauli's have given up before they started, lettuce have bolted as well as the cabbage.
Spuds are in the ground still and have had to water them on a daily basis.
Sweet corn is growing,but not any height nor has any cobs coming as yet.
gooseberries have withered as has the cherry. Strawberries are now over and there are very few runners to take. Broad beans and runners are not so good either.
The only real plus is the carrots, massive crop of them.
I shall have to see if the other crops have to shout their song of harvest to me later on.
Oh for the sweet sound of rain dripping on the ground to help the plants grow.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2010, 13:13:54 »
We are getting rain without it being forecast :). Dull & overcast was the forecast but perhaps the radar can't pick up on drizzle ;).

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2010, 15:33:28 »
The last time we had a good shower was on Bastille day, July 14. Since then we have had a couple of patches, about 15 minutes worth but that was it. It has been cloudy and stormy all week but not one drop of rain, believe it ir not.
I am watering everything by hand, well, almost, the smaller more vulnerable plants get it more regularly, but the squashes, tomatoes and beans only get once or twice a week. I am just leaving the spuds in the ground and I will see what I get as the foliage has completely died off, even on the maincrops. Not a good spud year for me, except the earlies which were fabulous.
I am watering from the pipes, as my two rain barrels are now completely empty.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2010, 17:47:02 »
It's not so bad right now, but the stream's dried up again, and another week without rain will leave us very dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal