Author Topic: Blue Danube potatoes.  (Read 4451 times)

Mushy Pea

• Acre
Blue Danube potatoes.
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:57 »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone else tried Blue Danube potatoes?

We were sent some free with our T & M order to try but we find them a bit dry and tasteless. wondered if it was just the dry weather having affected them or if this is the expected result.  :-\

MP

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Blue Danube potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:25:36 »
Mine are still in the ground. I'm a nit surprised by "dry" though less so by "tasteless" cos from memory they were developed by the same Hungarian research institute that gave us the Sarpo potato strains.... famed for being tasteless and rather watery.... although epically disease resistant so loved by the commercial growers....

chrisc

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:11:49 »
I bought four from  Ryton Potato Day, planted them mid/end April and they have never come up.  All around them are other types of spud but they never grew. ??? ??? ???

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:04 »
Mine are still in the ground as well - but will report back when we do eat them.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:47:56 »
They are not the tastiest potato, last year I found them quite dry and floury. But they grew well, tubers I thought were good looking and bake well. Not tried them yet this year as I've kept the tubers for 2nd cropping Christmas potato, which I hope to plant this weekend.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:26 »
Hmm... if they are dry and floury then I'll be quite happy... I eat a lot of baked spuds and that's how I like them, all of the Sarpo strains I've tried, and their disguised relatives like Saxon might well make a big potato but it isn't a good texture for baking even if the shop is selling it as a baker.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal