Author Topic: Do you think it's safe to plant tomatoes outside yet?  (Read 2160 times)

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Running out of space in the green house and have aday off tomorrow (Or should i say today as it gone midnight lol)

Wondered if ayone else thinks it's safe to plant out tomatoes yet? have some that are staying in the green house but others that are going outside and could really do with the space and getting them out but worried about being too eager as alreay lost most the sweetcorn when we had the recent frosts...

Thanks  ;)

schw

• Not So New ...
  • NW London
Re: Do you think it's safe to plant tomatoes outside yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:30:17 »
I'm planning to plant mine out tomorrow, but it really depends on where you are. If it's Isleworth then you're not far from me.

suncekoret

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:33:34 »
The situation may make a difference, ideally wants to be sheltered from winds.
I used to rig up a wind break / shelter with fleece which made a huge difference.

Stopped growing them outside now after loosing all three years in a row with blight

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:30:42 »
If they're hardened off, they should be OK. I'm doing mine gradually - some have been out for the last two nights, so I might plant them out today or tomorrow. The rest can stay out tonight.

(I grow quite a few tomatoes!)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:26 »
I've got some outdoors in window boxes (since sunday) will be hardening the rest (over 60 more plants)and planting them out at beginning of june
(our 'May' (hawthorn) isn't 'out' (in Bloom) yet!!)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:54:59 »
Our May is just breaking... should be out by the weekend...  :-X

amphibian

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:43:41 »
Mine went in the ground yesterday so I hope so.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 15:39:44 »
Mine are still in their pots but have been outside for a week. Just need to get round to putting them into their final positions so to speak  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 17:40:11 »
Mine got walloped in the cold frame, and I'm not planting them out till they're growing strongly again!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:11 »
I'm hardening mine off (mostly because they don't get enough light in the potting shed) but I won't put them out for another couple of weeks. Normally I'd be putting them out about now, but the seasons are about 3-4 weeks late this year. According to the forecast next week is going to get much colder again.
gone to pot :D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 08:01:42 »
Just got tumblers for outside and they're all in pots etc. so can bring them in if needed.  The tall ones are now in their grow bag but I'll have the fleece handy!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 09:49:25 »
I'm hardening mine off (mostly because they don't get enough light in the potting shed) but I won't put them out for another couple of weeks. Normally I'd be putting them out about now, but the seasons are about 3-4 weeks late this year. According to the forecast next week is going to get much colder again.

thanks for that aquilegia! Just checked on Metcheck and we're forcast -2 for next week. I was all ready to go for it this w.e.  ???

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 22:38:11 »
Mine are out during the day but in the greenhouse at night. I'm not putting them in the ground outside until sunny June.

amphibian

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 18:44:39 »

thanks for that aquilegia! Just checked on Metcheck and we're forcast -2 for next week. I was all ready to go for it this w.e.  ???

I don't belive them at all, their forecasting has been nonsense for months now.

If tehy're right though, I lose all my toms, beans and corn.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal