Author Topic: Rhubarb Tiramisu  (Read 1878 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Rhubarb Tiramisu
« on: May 25, 2010, 14:43:26 »
For those wondering what to do with Rhubarb:
about 20-30 sponge finger biscuits
2 cupfuls of sweet stewed rhubarb, cooled (I used 7 or 8 small stalks, it was just right)
about a cup of apple juice with added brandy/ or alternatively, sweet cider

2 tubs of marscapone cheese
Vanilla
4 eggs
100g sugar
Make the cream: beat the cheese well with the sugar, vanilla and egg yolks, until smooth and creamy. Beat the egg whites until stiff then fold them gently into the cheese mix.

In the shallow dish, roll the biscuits one by one in the apple juice and line the bottom of the mould. Add half the rhubarb and spread flat.
Add a layer of cream.
Repeat the layers (whether you get 2 or 3 layers of each depends on the size of the bowl). Finish with a layer of the cream and chill for at least 3 hours before serving. Before serving, sprinkle with a dusting of bitter cocoa.

Delicious! It beats a crumble, and it looks quite elegant!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Rhubarb Tiramisu
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 14:58:15 »
ooooo that sounds delicious  :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 16:13:31 »
Here's one I made up

Rhubarb Ginger trifle

Cooked Rhubarb sweetened to taste put in the base of a bowl.

Sprinkle gingernuts with alcohol of choice, I used cheap brandy I have for cooking...needs to work with ginger!
Chop up some ginger from ginger in syrup and add to rhubarb..don't over do this.
Place gingernuts in layers on top of Rhubarb and pour some ginger syrup over biscuits. Leave to soak while making a custard to go on top. chill and put whipped cream on top.

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 19:29:30 »
Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Made the Tiramisu with rhubarb from the lottie, and the garden for friends who came over for a BBQ today.

Everyone absolutely loved it.

Thanks very much for sharing.

Cheers, Rob.
I'd rather be digging my plot

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:16:47 »
Both recipes sound lovely..........nom, nom....... :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:06 »
Wow, I am really pleased with my idea!  I guess when I saw the empty bowl, I thought, hey that was pretty good after all!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
enjoy
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal