Author Topic: Cockerel story  (Read 2060 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Cockerel story
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:04 »
I had to tell you the situation that I'm currently in.. ::)
Last night I received a cockerel for a loan..a week or so..just to get some fertile eggs..
Well friend of mine assured me that this particular cockerel is not as loud as his other lads are..so it should OK be in our garden (terraced houses ::))
..so last night I received a box...took the chap out and lifted him amongst the girls on perch and shut the shed door..all well...turned around and heard loud thump..and he must have dropped off his perch.. ::)..'he'll sort himself..
Half past four this morning I woke up for this loud racket in bottom of my garden..yes..cockadoodaldoo....
...'ok, that sounded a bit rusty..I'll (and hopefully neighbours too) will live with that'..but it was just a bit of training exercise...hour later and almost nonstop announcement of his presence for his new ladies..and neighbours..he went back to his box and to his owner..
So I have learned my lesson..that is; no matter how quiet they are in cockerel scale..if you live in generally quiet area...even the quiet cockerels are loud.. ::) ::) ::)  ....I'm laughing at myself..what a wussy I am..neighbours dog is twice as loud..but it is not howling 4.30 in the morning..I propably managed to wake the dog too... ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:59:30 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Cockerel story
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:33:14 »
..oh..one other thing..I was surprised that the girls took it like it is most natural thing in the world to have lad amongst them..and try to put new girl there and it will be a riot for the week or so..
If that cockerel just would not got quite so exited about it..I could not wait and see ..hear..if he would have calmed down.. ::)
So that is my story for the first couple of hours for today.. ;D ;D ;D..what next..

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:33 »
Like that...  ;D ;D ;D

MP

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:26 »
My husband comes from a small town in Sicily and people there think nothing of keeping cockerels. 

It's just as well that I get up early anyway because over there the dogs bark all night and the cockerels take over the early morning shift.

It makes living in Birmingham seem very peaceful.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:16 »
Personally I dont't mind the 'noise'..actually I would like to hear it very much..but I'm purely thinking from the neighbours point of view...not everybody like it..our girls can do some noise too..but over the years everybody has grown to used to it..and I do get some worried enquiries if they have been unusually quiet..like during moult...
but with chickens the noise is so different and it is during day if anything..
Our street is very quiet generally...and having cockerel is like bom going off.. ;D ;D..oh dear...I'm on fourth cup of coffee this morning..and haven't even got to work yet.. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 20:03:11 »
I wonder if he scored and was telling the world ;D XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 20:11:41 »
No discretion some men ;D ;D ;D. He'll be selling his story next ;).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 21:06:18 »
Code: [Select]
I wonder if he scored and was telling the world
That early in the morning :o..they barely had time to get to know each other.. :o
ohh..these modern times..a bit courting won't go a miss.. ::)

Code: [Select]
He'll be selling his story next

..that's too late now...I've told the world his story... ;D..and it was very short from his part... ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 23:31:50 »
Mmm but you know what they say about short!!

Maybe he was a morning man..or not..you did say you though he had dropped off his perch last night.

Maybe they ganged up on him and he was shouting help.  Sorry couldn't resist!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 17:51:37 »
I have 14 girlies but no cockerels as we can get free rescue ones. 

A friend who lives in an urban area used to keep cockerels quite happily.  He used to lock the girls in a large hen house at night and the boy used to go into a house which did not have much headroom.  To 'doodledo apparently they need to be able to stretch their necks.  He used to let them out at a reasonable time in the morning so all noise was during reasonable hours.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal