Author Topic: egg bound symtoms but cant be?  (Read 2143 times)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
egg bound symtoms but cant be?
« on: May 19, 2010, 18:33:17 »
I have 4 hens and 1 of them had the symtoms of being egg bound last week (white/clear fluid coming from vent, eyes closed while standing etc). Ive checked her everyday but she seems fine, she is eating, drinking and scratching around outside, also the white clear fluid has stopped but she hasnt layed an egg for about a week now so what can be wrong, like i say she is still eating drinking and running around

any ideas?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: egg bound symtoms but cant be?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 18:50:06 »
It could be 'leather egg'..sometimes eggs shell does not develop and egg bound symptom are same..egg is still inside but doesn't come out and you cannot feel it without shell..or egg is bursted inside..
I would fill bowl with warm water and stand her in it ..water reaching above vent..wash her bottie..and gently massage around the..you know...not only is she cleaner but the water may also lubricate things and help her go...
After that wrap her  in towel and sit her on your lap...while drying her off..give a little talk about the situation..maybe she'll do something about it.. ;)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 19:00:03 »
tried the warm water twice now but still no egg, it did clean her up though. Will she be ok as she is and will she start laying again, if she was in pain or distressed i would have to kill her but she looks fine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 19:51:22 »
I think it is now just waiting game...as long as she is eating and drinking and you are keeping her clean...often these things will sort out by themself..I've had something similar with mine and it has sometimes taken week or so to get things back to normal..little extra in treat wise will not go a miss.... ;)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:46:01 »
Ok thanks for advice, been down this morning and she is fine will go back later to collect eggs, maybe this warm weather will do them all good they love sunbathing and having dust baths

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 23:40:21 »
Let us know how you she gets on.

I had a similar case with one of my chooks, except the fluid coming from the vent also had a bit of blood in it and was yellow. The bird looked miserable and spent much of it's time with tail down and eyes closed. The fluid stopped but the chook didn't lay again and still looked under the waether.

Eventually I dispatched it... on another poultry forum coccidiosis was suggested but all the other chooks were fine.

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 19:24:41 »
well she is fine now running around with the other hens, eating and drinking fine but not laying at all now, will she ever lay again?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 20:45:17 »
Yes..I would think so...if she is healthy now...laying will be just delayed... ;)She is still in recovery time... ;)

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 23:20:46 »
Hello
I have had one of my girls with a similar issue last week, for 2 days she stood around eyes closed, not eating, being very dosile and looking very unwell.
She is now fine, back laying had 5 days without an egg.

Turns out she was suffering from heat stress caused by high temperatures.  Now know to keep an eye on them more with the heat, spray them with water. lots more shade made for them, water kept in shade etc

Learning all the time but getting there  ;D
Rog n Pete

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 18:20:51 »
been a couple of weeks now, she is fine but still not laying as yet. will try spraying with water when hot but they have shade aswell.

thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal