Author Topic: Wasp Nest  (Read 6855 times)

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
Wasp Nest
« on: May 20, 2010, 19:41:49 »
We've just found a small wasp nest in our allotment shed, the nest is about the size of a golf ball. 

Is there anything that we can do to get rid of it now or do we need till the winter.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Wasp Nest
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 20:01:38 »
I think some of the very small ones are solitary wasps... if it starts growing, hit it with a rake & run!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 20:28:19 »
If you really want to get rid of it, now's the time before it gets any bigger. A squirt of wasp nest killer up the hole underneath will do it. That being said, I've shared my shed with wasps several times, and haven't felt threatened once.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 21:00:20 »
If you don't want/need to get rid of it, it will be a bit of a nuisance, but its one I would be happy to live with.  There will be quite a few of the little sods flirting around, but at this time of year they do so much good killing bugs.  If you don't trouble them, they won't trouble you, they'll be far too busy feeding the larvae.

Trust me, at this time of year they do more good than harm. ;D

valmarg

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 21:22:31 »
 :) I also have a wasps nest in my shed and I'm thrilled, as already said they are
one of the good guys/ shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:23 »
I had them in the roof of one of my hives, and that's the one place I won't have them as they'll be all through the hive. I would have transferred them to an empty hive once the nest got going, but the queen disappeared tafter the first time I took the lid off with the nest attached.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 18:30:18 »
I have wasps building a nest in a cupboard in my shed.  The fly in and out about leg level.  If they can live with me, I can live with them.  I think I have a solitary wasp nest in a bin that has a whole in the rubber lid.  It is a thing of beuty and come season end, I am going to find a way of preserving it.

Oh, I also have a bumble bee nest in my muck heap so all my squash are going to have to live on compost this year.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 21:17:23 »
Everyday for the last few days I've seen a large wasp (queen?) on my  wood pile gathering material to make his/her nest.  I think they chew the wood to make the papery concoction but don't quote me.   ;)  Now, I'm allergic to wasp stings but this sort of activity is what I expect from a wildlife friendly garden and as others have said they are a useful addition to the garden at this time of year.  Just one question if I may.  How far from the wood pile is the nest likely to be? 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 21:46:59 »
It can be quite a distance.

A few years ago, we noticed, while we were sitting in the garden, a scratching noise.  On closer inspection it was wasps scrunching at the fencing.

OH accidentally 'found' the nest when he was doing some pruning, and unfortunately knocked the wasps nest out of the shrub it had been built in..

It is the most fantastic construction.  The cells, the shape.  As old as I am, I never cease to wonder at nature.  I can still look at life throgh the goggle eyes of a child.

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 21:53:25 »

are we talking (in old money) inches, feet, yards or miles?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:17:18 »
  I can still look at life throgh the goggle eyes of a child.

valmarg
That is something I can so relate to. :)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 15:58:16 »
How far from the wood pile is the nest likely to be?

Once the nest is built & the workers take over collecting food & building materials they typically gather things from within a 400 metre radius of the nest so presumably the queen would travel a similar distance when gathering materials to build the nest in the first place.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 16:49:44 »

valmarg

Me too. As a child I got over 20 stings at the same time, helping my dad move his hives... and have been fairly cautious about flying things that sting ever since!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 20:55:37 »
How far from the wood pile is the nest likely to be?

Once the nest is built & the workers take over collecting food & building materials they typically gather things from within a 400 metre radius of the nest so presumably the queen would travel a similar distance when gathering materials to build the nest in the first place.

Thanks very much for the info. 

G x

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 22:23:15 »

are we talking (in old money) inches, feet, yards or miles?

G x

Sorry, Georgie, I didn't elaborate.  In our case it was yards, from the fencing in the back garden to the shrubs in the front, which OH reckons is about 40 yards.  For an insect the size of a wasp it's 'quite a distance'. ;D

I can understand , being allergic to wasp stings you are a bit wary, but they do do more good than harm at this time of year.

valmarg

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 22:53:00 »
I can not believe that so many of you lotties are kind to wasps, I thought I was the only person in the world that was, they are beneficial insects, a bit dangerous if you disturb a nest. I was told by a wasp hater that they had no purpose on this earth. Any comments would be welcomed.

Regards Queenbee
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 14:22:49 »
They kill aphids and caterpillars - nuff said. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 17:39:24 »
They're extremely useful 99.9% of the time. The exceptions are where they get into beehives, they start raiding kitchens and picnics because the nest is collapsing and they're desperate for anything sweet, and when there's a collapsing nest in the roof space and wandering wasps are getting into the house. The last two only happen at the end of the season.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 18:00:44 »
I can remember a friend in the village saying he witnessed a wasp, catching a cabbage white butterfly, taking its wings off, and taking the body away to the nest.  Now if that's not a good guy, what is. ;D  The less cabbage whites in this world the better.

valmarg

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 18:06:10 »

valmarg

Me too. As a child I got over 20 stings at the same time, helping my dad move his hives... and have been fairly cautious about flying things that sting ever since!

Well yes, it would leave an indelible impression.  I've only been stung by a wasp once, but that was enough. ;D ;D

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal