Author Topic: enough light?  (Read 1163 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
enough light?
« on: May 19, 2010, 17:56:16 »
My lottie partner's and my OHs have been very busy restoring and revamping an old shed for our use on the lottie.  There are no windows, and so the rotten roof has been replaced by a lovely mixture consisting of PVC corrugagted sheeting, two shower screens and a double glazed window, all of which means that we now have light!  My question is,would there be enough light to use it as a cold greenhouse?  There is a nice new long shelf about 2ft. away from our lovely see through roof, and I can just visualise lots of seed trays on there next spring, freeing up my window sills at home.  Am I being sensible?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: enough light?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 19:19:19 »
Well what you have just built is a cold frame for beanstalks.

The roof is a bit high for plants, there going to try and stretch up to the light, and  i suspect all your seedlings would go very leggy. The best you could do is put a foot wide shelf round about a foot below the eaves, but inside.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 19:21:10 »
I agree with LK!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 22:06:09 »
A higher shelf it is then!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04:27 »
I agree with LK!

Me too - because it sounds exactly like my shed - I have a 2.3m x 25cm home-made capillary trough system on my high shelf - takes 6 trays of modules (150+ seedlings) and waters them automatically - especially useful through any absences (of up to 2 or even 3 weeks).

High shelf reduces rodent damage to pea seedlings but doesn't eliminate it unless you add plastic covers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:09:36 »
There are two of us sharing our little plot, and so we plan our breaks away to make sure one of us is always around for watering etc.  Up to now we haven't spotted any evidence of mice anywhere on the plot (there's another shed that we've been sharing plus 2 greenhouses) but I expect they are there somewhere, maybe just waiting in the wings!  Do you grow peas in a gutter?  This is our first season at the lottie life so are happy to listen to advice from those who know better!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal