Author Topic: how to use fleece correctly?  (Read 4599 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
how to use fleece correctly?
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:43 »
Hi all, this is probably a really silly question but.....Im using fleece to cover cabbages & for the first time Ive just laid it on top of the newly planted out cabbages & secured the sides with bricks & planks of wood....so it is sitting closely ontop of the cabbage plants but there is still room for growth. Ive done it this way as Im hoping to keep out carrot root fly as well as pigeons & cabbage whites. However the much more experienced growers at my allotments keep commenting on how the cabbages wont grow ok & how I should raise the fleece off them using hoops etc (make cloches). I used fleece cloches last year & carrot root fly got all of my brassicas ::)
So are they right? Will having fleece laying ontop of the cabbages (it is very light fleece) stunt their growth?
Any advice most welcome 

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Re: how to use fleece correctly?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:48:33 »
Hi Crystal- there are far more experienced people around than me so I am sure they will advise on best method.
I understood to keep root fly out you need to use collars directly around the stem at ground level, I have not , as yet, resorted to this and so far  had no problem. as far as cabbage white and pigeons are concerned I always use a netted framework using canes with something on the top to stop canes popping through net, I use those balls with holes in to fix the cane to and then cover with netting. I would add that I do tend to grow all brassicas in the same bed ie cauli's calibres, broccoli so for summer I usually aim at 2'6-3' clearance.
Hope this helps -I will be interested to see what others do.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:49:50 »
Brassicas need protection from cabbage whites and birds. Stretching fleece directly over the plants will restrict growth and lack of air circulation might encourage fungus type diseases. Whether you use fleece or environmesh or debris netting they all need to be raised off the plants. There are different ways of doing it with hoops or frames made from canes or timber. If the protection is properly secured to the ground all round birds or butterflies wont get in.

Carrot root fly doesnt attack brassicas, the clue is in the name  ;) What kind of insect and damage did you have - other things that you might find on brassicas are aphids and flea beetles? Or if the damage was underground - club root? Or cabbage root fly?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:52:14 by weequinie »

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 18:05:14 »
Hi weequinie silly me I ment to say cabbage root fly not carrot root fly  :D
How can I best protect my cabbages from these tiny beasts without resorting to sprays/chemicals etc?

I will lift the fleece at the weekend as I dont want to encourage fungus etc. I will use metal hoops, drape the fleece over it & put earth on all of the sides to try to keep everything out! Last year I didnt put earth along the edges of the fleece.

Hi there susiebell thanks for your suggestions I have covered one row of cabbages in a fine net tunnel & I have pulled earth up all around the edges of this to try to keep pests out.
I havent heard of the brassicas needing the collars you mention....any idea what I can make them from?
Would cardboard do?

Thanks very much for all your help Weequinie & Susiebell   

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 19:06:44 »
If Pigeons & Cabbage Whites are your problem, I would use netting rather than Fleece.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 22:59:15 »
Hi Crystal, you can buy the collors, like almost anything if you are prepared to pay the price, on my site a guy just cuts a square of stiff fabric, cuts centre out and then a slit from outer edge to centre making it possible to slip round the stem, but I have heard of people using roof felt, not sure about cardboard I would think you would have to keep it moist to ensure contact with the soil but hopefully Tee Gee or one of the other experienced guys will be along soon to offer other ideas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal