Author Topic: Im new, need some advice  (Read 4259 times)

lauraw9931

Im new, need some advice
« on: May 20, 2010, 19:09:05 »
I have recently got myself an allotment. I have no clue what I am doing, lol. Need advice on a couple of things, firstly, my site is very much clay based, which has proved to be very hard work to prep. The initiative who run the site are bringing in a large amount of soil to help us and others alike. We have been told by the other allotment holders that we are not gonna be able to plant anything this year, other than potatoes, because of the clay? Is this right? If it is, I was considering putting in some raised beds because I am raring to go. which brings me to my next prob, what is the best way to construct raised beds? I was thinking wood. How easy actually is it? I will have to do this myself, I am willing to give anyting a try but would appreciate advice on the easiest method. Thanks

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Im new, need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 19:26:00 »
Whoever told you you can only grow potatoes on clay soil is clearly inexperienced or set in their ways to put it politely. If it is very heavy clay then some root veg such as carrots may struggle until the soil has been improved but everything else will grow fine.
I would be inclined to get hold of as much organic matter (compost, manure, leaf mould etc...) as you can, dig some in to improve the soil structure & spread the rest on the surface as a mulch to retain moisture & stop the clay setting like concrete you could also use things like grass clippings as mulch as long as the lawns they come from have not been treated with a feed & weed type product recently.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 21:16:54 »
You can grow fantastic cauli's, calabrese and the like on clay soil.  Perhaps your neighbours meant that as spuds are good for breaking up soil, that is what you should grow this year.

If you are getting regular supplies of imported soil, then working clay soil in a dry summer should be less of a problem and you should be able to grow pretty much what you want - subject to time to tend the soil.  A benefit of clay is that it holds moisture and nutrients better than most other soil types.

Wooden frames for raised beds are dead easy.  Wickes sell metal brackets that I'm told are intended for rafters but they make joining the wood at right angles a doodle and last time I got some, they were 30 p each - bargain!

lauraw9931

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 16:34:57 »
Thank you for the advice, it is very much appreciated. I was going to go ahead and plant anyway, its good to know I can tho. I had brackets in mind to use, so its good that you have recommended them to :) Am going to give it a go and see how it works out. It may well be a disaster. Looking forward to getting going.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 17:20:38 »
I'd keep the clay if you can and improve it, it is wonderful once it has been improved with plenty of compost and manure. If you fnid people building 6" beds on top of clay and filling them with imported topsoil they might well run into trouble with all sorts of things in terms of drainage pretty muich both ways, they'll end up with a soil that waterlogs easily and then drys out too fast if they don't work it into the clay anyway....

It'll grow great cabbages with a bit of lime in it if it needs it for the pH (do a pH test on it if you can) in fact all brassicas will love it for the lack of wind-rock they'll suffer...

yes it will be hard to work at first, but it'll be great soil in a few years if it gets plenty of compost and manure....

chrisc

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 17:36:50 »
welcome to A4A lauraw9931  :)

Lots of sound advice been given to you - I'm on clay too, and you'll be fine  :)

It's not too late for some french beans

And if the clay is already too dry to dig, buy yourself a bulb planter (approx £3) from a cheapo DIY/gardening shop, and create planting holes. I did that last year and have done the same again for my brassicas this year - and so far it's been successful

Oh and don't forget to mulch - that way the moisture will stay in the ground  :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:23:34 »
I dig shredded paper in with my clay as well as rabbit, chicken and horse manure.
If you soak an area with water first then add a layer of cardboard/paper then a couple of inches of manure and soak some more, it will be easier to dig in a week or so. Covering the above with black plastic will help even more. Do the above as soon as possible even if you have not weeded or as soon as we have a few days of sun the clay will be as hard as concrete.

Neil

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 20:06:02 »
Hello and welcome, congratuatons on your new plot.
My advice would be to learn early who on your site is a big moaner and who is suportive and then tune out the neigh sayers.
The second best thing about having your own plot is that you have room to experiment and grow what you want and test out weather you can make things grow how you want. So what if you have some failures , its usually only some seeds and some digging thats lost.

The best thing? well thats the really great people you meet, sharing disasters and produce and huddling in the shed over a brew talking about all sorts.

Clay is hard, I had clay riddled with marestail and dock , which took a long time to get clear.
I split up the plot into manageable bits that i could dig in a morning and then have the joy of planting in the afternoon So little and often is the way to go and take very good care of your back. If its hurting stop and do something else.

Good luck with licking it into shape.
x sunloving

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 20:12:01 »
Hi Laura

Welcome to A4A this introduction to 'allotments' and its related links might help you and it covers clay soil such as you describe and how to go about improving it.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/01-Introduction.htm

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 21:04:40 »
my plot was very heavy when i took it on

but by adding lots of manure and compost its becoming very nice soil

as said before,split into workable areas so you can work a little at a time.

i didnt grow the first year because i was late for everything and because my plot was couched over,but grew lots the following year on the clay soil.only thing i struggled with were carrots,but over time things get lots better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal