Author Topic: sweetcorn help  (Read 1778 times)

jokey

• Half Acre
sweetcorn help
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:03:24 »
hi all

wonder if anyone can help, i seem to of mixed up my two types of sweetcorn sundance and tuxedo.  just read about cross pollination  ???,  they are mixed up in the same bed am i best just starting from scratch.  also how close can you plant different types of sweetcorn and does mini pops get cross pollinated with normal sweetcorn

sorry all the questions

cheers jo ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: sweetcorn help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:22:42 »
I wouldn't worry too much about mixing them up.
You will hear all sorts of distances for planting to avoid cross poination but if you are on a normal site you cant get far enough away from your neighbours to avoid it - unless there are wind breaks or something.  Not sure about your mini pop question but I suspect they can get cross polinated - I wouldn't worry about that either!!  ;D
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

jokey

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:44:52 »
cheers

so no worried then :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:46:39 »
With minipop..there is not worries as you are going to harvest before they grow into pollination stage..they are immature sweetcorn..
As for others if it is purely eating purposes..I'm sure they'll be delicious..wether crossed or not..just don't temp to save the seed and expect to get true to type..
Just don't use too much butter on...not good for you... ;) ;D

jokey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 18:31:58 »
thanks goodlife

i will just enjoy ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 19:28:22 »
Jokey, your Sundance is a sugar enhanced type and your Tuxedo is a normal sugary type, these can be grown togther with no problem,

Mini pop is for baby corn but you need to be sure and pick it on time before it's tassle on top starts to drop pollen, if you leave it  and it gets pollintaed , it will grow to a full sized corn suitable for popping and that would cross with your others..so be sure you pick it on time.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 21:11:46 »
Jeannine,
                 This year for the first time my sweetcorn was a failure and the only thing I can think of is that I planted three varieties close to each other (about fifteen feet apart), my main crop of sweetcorn is a variety from Franchi, it is now ready to harvest but the kernels are very white which is not what I expected from this variety could this be the problem of planting to close and cross pollination if so this crop will be going to feed my mates chickens, :)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 21:39:37 »
You do get white sweetcorn varieties which taste just as good as the yellow ones. Have you tasted it?
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 09:26:56 »
realfood,
            I know there are white varieties but the actual kernels also seem to be under sized, if the rain stops I will visit the lotty to inspect but it seems they are destined to be chick food or compost this year,  :) 

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:10:04 »
I've grown Ovation this year - the kernals are barely yellow (almost pale green) and small but they still taste good. Don't discard them without a taste.
The chicks will love them anyway - so its not a loss either way  ;)
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:13:06 »
just come back from the lotty with a bag full of beautiful sweetcorn, it's my fault for being to eager last week when I looked at them last,  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal