Author Topic: FIGS  (Read 3677 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: FIGS
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 13:55:21 »
This is my fig tree today

[attachment=1]

The new leaves are all at the end of the branches and there is lots of small fruit left from last year

[attachment=2]

To give an idea of the size of tree, I asked my plot-neighbour John to stand just in front of it.  He is 6ft.2"

[attachment=3]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 15:58:13 »
This was mine until I got mean with it

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 23:13:08 »
Thanks - but should it not sprout from the 4 or 5 cut back last year?

If they were pruned late (?) and didn't sprout last year then they won't carry those pea-sized fruit over winter - and without them they can't fruit this year as first (breba) crop - they may try to produce a main crop but there isn't enough time or heat (without glass) to ripen these.

The branches you prune off now will sprout enough to produce breba figs next year.

If you had a well heated greenhouse you could cut a fig to the ground in March and still get main crop figs the same year - but they would be very few and very expensive ones.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal