Author Topic: Eviction  (Read 11184 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Eviction
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 12:28:52 »
oooo "vexatious complainant" - I'd wear that title with pride  ;D

Have you thought of running in the local elections yourself  :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 12:48:15 »
Could they kick you off if you paid the lottie fee the same rate as you paid last year, you would have paid some of it which might throw a spanner in the works..it does with house rents, considered arrears then and not refusal to pay.At the very least it woud have to delay them and it would change the legal position somewhat. I would go for it.XX Jeannine
That's what I've done Jeannine, I've paid at the pre-increase rate of £4.71/pole and just witheld the £2.23/pole increase.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

BillyButternut

• Not So New ...
    • Plot 7
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 13:49:03 »
Good Luck

from Plot 7 Marsh Lane allotments Hungerford

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 15:05:17 »
I am convinced that there is a maximum by which allotment rents can be increased each year. It is driving me nuts about where I read it and I am only here whilst I have a brew I just don't have time to look far.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 15:31:10 »
unwashed,is there some sort of online petition you could set up,so that we can all sign up,and show support,however remotely?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 15:43:50 »
unwashed,is there some sort of online petition you could set up,so that we can all sign up,and show support,however remotely?

Good idea ;)
i don't belive death is the end

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 16:09:40 »
Hi all.  I hope you realize how very much I appreciate your continuing support and concern, because I do.  I'm quite abrasive and brusque, and some other things too, but I do feel isolated and it's great to be part of this community.

Hi Betty, Elvis.  That's an excellent idea.  I tried to install some petition software on my site yesterday, and I'll have another go - I'd like to host it on my protest site to bring that to a wider audiance.

I also need to reach out to the 500-odd allotmenteers in Newbury.  I currently have the support of three, maybe four (not counting me!).  This is the bit I don't get my head around at all:  my protest actually seems to alienate some people.  Not all, but quite a few.  Are Town Council's like sacred cows?  Do people just want a quiet life?  How should I be reaching out to my fellow allotmenteers to encourage them to support themselves?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 16:26:51 »
I don't think people are particularly after a quiet life but I do think they are afraid of losing their plots.

I can understand how you feel because I would probably be doing the same as you but I know human nature enough to say people will back off if something they value is at risk.

How good it would be if all the plot holders refused to pay,then they would have to sit up and take notice.

Can you not pay up under pressure or whatever the legal term is and carry on fighting for justice.That way your plot will be safe or is it already too late ??

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 16:46:51 »
Can you not pay up under pressure or whatever the legal term is and carry on fighting for justice.That way your plot will be safe or is it already too late ??
Some people have done just that, thay paid under protest, but the Council ignore the protest.  I'd love there to be a way of holding them to account without the risk of losing my plot, but I can't think of how.  If enough allotmenteers had protested and shown solidarity I think we'd have won the day, but the other site association in Newbury was actually hostile to any protest, and my site association caved in without much trouble.

I find it shameful that none of the 23 town councillors will even discuss this with me.  It's obvious to the world that the Council have been caught in a lie, but not one of them will do the decent thing and speak up.  The miserable weasels.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 17:48:28 »
The very best of British my old son, were all rooting for you mate.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 18:37:55 »
Cheers Kev.

If any of you would like to show your support for my protest then perhaps you'd like to visit my protest site and leave a message of support under the Rent Protest article.  That would be really good, thanks.

See here.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 18:48:21 »
Simon, have you contacted the 'rotten boroughs' section of Private Eye??
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/pages.php?page=contact&
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 22:22:07 »
Why don't you go on to Facebook.

So many people on there ,sure you will get loads of support and yes they do take notice of what is said about them on Facebook and Twitter.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 08:44:41 »
Why don't you go on to Facebook.

So many people on there ,sure you will get loads of support and yes they do take notice of what is said about them on Facebook and Twitter.

I agree, if Scarecrows Smith can get 692 friends in a couple of months, I'm sure something worthwhile and sensible will do well.  If you make a Facebook page I will invite all SS's friends to join.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:42:22 »
A mascot to the cause Squash ???  ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:30 »
Betty, you're a star!  Will you thank Scarecrows Smith for me please.  I have to admit I'm not familiar with Facebook but I'm sure I can work out what to do...

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 11:20:27 »
Unwashed - Simon

I am similar to you as my manner is abrasive and I call a spade a spade - I normally mean no harm - but I come across as a "hard cow" some times without meaning to!!  So - in advance - do not take offence at the following!!

My problem with your problem is that the amount of money you are being asked to pay over that which you paid last year is - in the whole scheme of things - peanuts.  Just because your council did not increase the rents over the years to that which they are asking you now is - in my mind - a small amount of money to pay annually for something which obviously gives you a lot of happiness, satisfaction etc.

We can all jump on any bandwaggon and say it is not fair etc etc we can argue the toss over the smallest things which - a few months down the line will mean nothing.  Something or some other cause will have overtaken the present cause and be that much more important.

I feel you are fighting a battle with people who you have no time for and possibly this element is taking over from the original thing and becoming just a huge war where some one has to win and some one has to lose and everybody has to resign etc etc.

Taken back to basics - if this was - in today's prices - hundreds of pounds increase thens you would have some followers - I presume had the remaining 500 other allotmenteers - been as uptight as you then you would have strong support - unfortunately for you - as you have been to the press and the like and have drummed up 4 you must assume that the others are either not bothered as it is still bargainous rents or don't care and can't be bothered in becoming soldiers in your army.

I know how you feel - I have fought many battles - but I feel you are taking it too far - both for your health wellbeing and potential loss of plot and it being - in the whole sceme of things - neither a major issue for governmental/local council issues - when everyone is trying to cut costs in the public sector, and, when push comes to shove, really Simon - when you have lost your allotment, is not worth the effort in the end.

Old Bird

???

:(

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:25 »
when everyone is trying to cut costs in the public sector

Youve missed the point, thats exactly what unwashed is trying to do promoting self-management thereby saving the local council buckets of money. Should noone ever stand up for anything, even if they are a lone voice? What a sad world that would be.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 13:19:32 »
Hi OB.  I hear what you say.  If it's coming over as a protest about how much we pay then I wouldn't expect to get much support.  Like weequinie says - thanks mate - it's actually a protest against the council's self-serving arrogance, but if that isn't coming over clearly it's my problem.

As far as I can tell the rent increase is unlawful, and the Council knew it was unlawful, but they imposed it anyway because they reasoned that no one would stand up to them over £20.  Sorry, but that's bullying.  I spoke to the Council about this, but they told me this: if people pay it doesn't matter what the Regulations say, and if you start telling us what we can and can't do you'll lose our support.  Of course I see it differently.  I expect the council to behave lawfully, and I'm not going to turn a blind eye to a bit of bullying just because I want something from them.  And yes, the thing I want from them is self-management, and that would save the tax-payer £108k in Newbury.  I'm disappointed this kind of grubby sleaze doesn't turn every Newbury allotmenteer out onto the streets in protest, but that's not going to stop me protesting on my own as best I can.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 15:08:32 »
Yes - I do take the point Weequinie - and yes the council are coming over as self serving arrogance and yes it may be unlawful, in some respects,  (but who will go to Court over £20 increase) and bullying is not increasing rent to 500 or so tenants - it would be bullying if they were picking on YOU as a person (singular)

I cannot see that the Council would ever consider the self management as a serious option when - with the greatest respect Unwashed - they have regular conflicts with yourself over all manner of trivia. 

There is probably a better way of going round this - and I am not into local politics - so cannot work out a way but as a self styled "leader" I think you have got their backs up so high that you won't stand a chance.  You would need someone to "front" your takeover who appears to agree with the Council and their intentions etc and possibly is way less confrontational.

(Not criticising - but looking at myself critically - that is my style and - dare I say it - yours too Unwashed)!

Take a look again from a far wider view and possibly you may find another approach that would be more effective than "in your face confrontation"

O B

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal