Author Topic: Recommendations for a shrub please...  (Read 2459 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Recommendations for a shrub please...
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:26:12 »
I'm looking for plant suggestions - it will be on the North side of the house, a few feet away from the house iteslf, evergreen, flowers (scented if poss!), growing to 2 or 3 feet tall. I have had a wall rebuilt & put a raised bed against it that will be filled with soil. The wheelie bin will be behind this shrub!

Any advice from the more floral amongst you?!

Thanks!

dimmo

• Not So New ...
  • I thought this was supposed to be relaxing
Re: Recommendations for a shrub please...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:50:57 »
My vote goes to

Cistus 'Silver Pink'

Neat & Bushy     Flowers all summer

Dimmo

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:53:37 »
Gosh..you are not asking much.. ;) Rhododendrons and azaleas would like that position..but they do not smell..Mahonias do have lovely smell,but doesn't have otherwise much to show off..Pieris; more about foliage colour than flowers, Choisya; fragrant white flowers in late spring, maybe odd one in autumn too. Camelias; plenty of choice with flowers but no smell. But you have to do your home work as each of the mentioned ones do have cultivars that require more or less light.. ::)..and grow to different height.. ::)..but nothing stop you using your secateurs..generally they do not mind.. ::)
Or one that comes to my mind to..but no flowers..as such..holly!..you can get them in such a variety of foliages..and if you pick carefully..matching pair..you'll get berries too ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:58:15 »
Oh...cistus is sun loving shrub..and needs lots of it...North facing would not provide enough light for decent show off..it would be too cold too.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 13:15:05 »
We were at the hospital today and as we walked along a path on the way in, we were greeted by a lovely scent in the air.  It was Choisya.  It seems to fit your requirements Ollie.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 13:23:07 »
I have a fantastic skimmia growing in north facing border.  I think the variety is Redruth - which has wonderful scented flowers now and fantastic red berries all thru the year.

Alison

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 14:42:00 »
Osmanthusxburkwoodii.  Scented flowers in Spring.  Evergreen.   

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 20:37:11 »
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 22:21:59 »
Another vote for choisya - but don't go for the golden leaved one, it looks manky much of the time, the plain is a better bet.  The scent is heavenly.  Or what about Rosemary? Evergreen, (or evergrey) lovely scent, and useful in the kitchen too!

tai haku

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 22:33:34 »
Just to throw out an alternative...I would go for a Viburnum specifically either V. opulus aureum, V. sargentiana onondaga or V. bodnantense "dawn". Not evergreen but they hold their leaves for a long time and for me the scent, leaf colour and/or berries of any of these would offset the leaf drop.

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 00:18:37 »
I have a Viburnum Burkwoodii and it has the most wonderful perfume. Flowers very early usually about February but later this year as with many things. It is evergreen and stands a bit of tough tratment with the secateurs.
Good luck.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 23:12:00 »
Daphne cnoreum or retusa.  Both are evergreen, very slow growing, and when in flower the scent is wonderful.

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:08 »
Very many thanks for all the suggestions... I shall draw up a shortlist & head off to the garden centre!

Ollie

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 14:38:58 »
Ollie,
Why not look into growing a Ceanothus, lovely blue flower which the insects like too.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal