Author Topic: Broad Beans and Garlic  (Read 1966 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Broad Beans and Garlic
« on: November 26, 2004, 14:55:50 »
I sowed my garlic (two bulbs early wight, two of Solent wight) one month ago - the early stuff is a couple of inches tall now, the other is not showing yet. Is that right?

And I sowed my broadies (direct in the ground with pickle jar or half 2litre pop bottle cloches) about three weeks ago and only two are showing signs of doing anything. But Monty's are a couple of inches high. Will mine be ok? I've never had any success with spring-sown broadies (blackfly), so this year I thought I'd try autumn-sowing.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Broad Beans and Garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 16:13:00 »
My garlic has only been in a couple of weeks and showing no sign at all as yet.  My broadbeans that I planted directly about 6 weeks ago....only 3 germinated!  I feared mice had gotten them so planted more and covered them with wire mesh, but nothing, so as an emergency back up, planted the rest of my packet in loo rolls and have them in my conservatory.  In a week they are an inch tall!  They will go out into my greenhouse over the weekend, then the following weekend in the garden to end up planted on the plot.  If I were you, bung some in a pot as a backup.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 16:32:45 »
Thanks EJ - I've been saving up loo rolls all year. My sweet peas are doing really well in them. I will put some broads in some more.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 09:21:55 »
Sounds horrid Sspauk.

It's typical and shows how impatient I am - I checked the beans on Saturday and about half of them around showing their heads now. must learn to be more patient!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 13:28:57 »
Dang and Blast.

After reading this I nipped to the allotment at lunchtime (to drop off my new long-handled 'grave-diggers' spade) and found that where my broad beans had poked their heads above ground, they had immediately been decimated (by pigeons I reckon) - serves me right for not fleecing them earlier, I wasn't expecting them to show their heads just yet.

Absolutely no sign of any garlic, despite planting 3 bulbs-worth a month or so ago. Didn't know they should be visible by now - they might have all rotted I guess? Should I ferret about and have a look or leave them and hope they're OK?

:'(

Will be sowing some back-up broad beans indoors for planting out next spring, I think. Definitely want a lot more than I got last year, as they were so tasty.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 15:44:47 »
I planted 3 types of garlic this year. Some form last year's crop and 2 new ones. Last year's crop are 4 inches high, and the other 2 are yet to show. On checking them, they have strong roots, so don't despair. How quickly they show will depend on how recently the bulbs were lifted, the older ones growing first.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 15:50:19 »
How quickly they show will depend on how recently the bulbs were lifted, the older ones growing first.
Ahh - that explains why my early variety have sprouted quicker than the late variety, because they were lifted earlier! thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal