Author Topic: lack of growth  (Read 2850 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
lack of growth
« on: May 15, 2010, 21:58:22 »
Hope it starts to get warmer properly this coming week (as forecast fngers crossed). Not much growth on anything in the greenhouse so far. :(

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
Re: lack of growth
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 00:05:21 »
That's a relief, I was beginning to think it was just me! Chillies and bell peppers just seem to have stood still for ages, and the tomatoes aren't much better. Not dying, but not growing either!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:12 »
Yep..things are going slow...well for the things that you would like to progress..but for those slightly tender ones that are destined to go out... ::)..well..they can't grow quick enough.. ::)

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:09 »
Same here in Salford. Peppers have sat still for weeks. A few tomatoes are away now but at a snail's pace. Even indoor-sown radish is taking three time as long as usual. Not even convinced 3-week spread of carrot planting outdoors will result in a succession crop, if all rows suddenly speed up at the same time. It is as though the last month hasn't happened!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:24 »
same here too....ive also managed to rot quite a few seeds too by watering as if it was a normal year,but as there is not the usual amount of heat in the greenie,the seeds have just been sat in all that water,doh! of course,it was squash and other curcubits this happened to,ya know,the pricey seeds  ???
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:04 »
I agree!

As some of you may know I have been keeping a pictorial diary for the last year.

On looking at it earlier this week I would say things are about three weeks behind this year.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 17:14:52 »
Snap-before reading this thread I was going to ask if anyone was having problems with cucumbers.  Mine are hanging on but not really going anywhere.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 20:35:25 »
I've had the odd strange germination problem, I'm sure down to the changable weather as everything else has been reliable...dwarf french beans, no germination at all from 4 different types of beans, but all the climbing ones germinated ( ???) and are growing on well, so I bought fresh, resowed and all geminated! ::)

As for growing on, apart from one batch of cauliflowers that are just sitting there sulking despite foliar and watered in liquid seaweed feeds that usually green them up a treat, everything else is ok, but I agree about a month behind last year.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:18 »
Snap-before reading this thread I was going to ask if anyone was having problems with cucumbers.  Mine are hanging on but not really going anywhere.

Ditto! I've been wondering the same thing. Although I don't have a greenhosue all the tender stuff - cuc's, peppers, chillies, aubergines have been on window cills. And frankly have put on hardly any growth. I've ended up trying to shift things upstairs to the highest and brightest room (the spare bedroom). It seems to get the best light. Haven't had to do this before!!

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 20:52:54 »
noticable change the past couple of days with the welcomed warmth. just when things start looing good, no rain for weeks predicted!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal