Author Topic: shrubs for an allotment  (Read 2312 times)

netty

• Not So New ...
shrubs for an allotment
« on: May 11, 2010, 19:13:43 »
hi, I would like to plant some shtubs to form a windbreaker and somewhere for wildlife on my lottie. My soil is clay so not sure what to choose. Would be glad of any suggestions .They will be surrounding a wildlife pond that I have just made. would realy like to use Red Robin as it is one of my favourites and have seen it pruned into a hedge and looks fab but not sure it would tolerate my soil ?

guerriero75

• Not So New ...
Re: shrubs for an allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49:21 »
Theres nothing better than Jerusalem artichokes for that use...great looking plant, nice flower and keeps comming back like a massive weed, you just have to put the tubers in buckets if you want to control of how it spreads. Tubers are delicious

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:57 »
Photinia Red Robin would tolerate clay soil - ours does.  I would probably go for a row of Chaenomeles trained as an hedge, better for wildlife than Photinia, or maybe a small mix of Maythorne, Chaenomeles etc.
Best laid plans and all that

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 17:42:03 »
dogwoods - nothing easier. Dig a trench in autumn and line out hard wood cuttings. They will relish the clay and look fantastic too, especially the variagated C.sibirica 'elegantissima'. Pyracantha can be espaliered and pleached on wires - a great evergreen 'fedge'. Also, blackthorn, prunus cerasifera, hawthorn, haze - all easy to prpagate, great for wildlife and good to look at. Finally, try some roses, especially some of the rose species (burnet, nutkana, primula, cantabridgiensis, rugosa.

netty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 00:12:46 »
thanks so much for your help everyone will take on board all of your advice . Isn't this a great forum? everyone so helpful and willing to pass on their expertise to each other ?

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:10:46 »
i have Jerusalem artichokes for a wind break and they are very low maintenance or no maintenance. what i wish i had put in 7 years ago would have been hazel, willow and dog wood. good for wildlife plus you could coppice for bean sticks, weaving etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal